Main Menu

Pacific General at GOG

Started by Sir Slash, September 29, 2015, 09:42:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Sir Slash

I probably missed a post about this but... Pacific General and Fantasy General are now available at GOG and on sale, 50% off. It's here.... http://www.gog.com/game/pacific_general

  Anybody old enough to remember these two kicking their ass like me?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

mirth

$2.99? That's a steal. Now I just need to figure out how many times I already own those games.

Ah screw it. For $2.99, I can own them again.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Greybriar

I had already owned the retail boxed versions of them both from back in the day, but I bought Fantasy General when GOG.com first offered it for sale. I held off on Pacific General but I snagged it yesterday when the price dropped to 50% off. It's hard to believe that it's been nearly 20 years since they were first released.

Thanks for the heads-up, Sir Slash.  O0
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

mirth

#3
I own at least one copy of Pacific General on disc. I could swear I bought both games at some point through a digital game service. They're not in my GoG library though.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

ComradeP

#4
Fantasy General was one of my few "favourite" wargames. It's still a favourite, the list is just longer now than a few years ago.

Pacific General is a good wargame as well, with a number of interesting mods as well.

Naval gunfire ranges being scaled to island size, large ships being able to take various kinds of damage instead of just strength point damage (including a chance of blowing up at the first hit) and having two airfield variants (dirt airfields and paved ones, the dirt airfields only supplied the unit actually on the hex so you couldn't place your air armada on/around a single airfield like in Panzer General) were improvements that its spiritual sequels were missing. Order of Battle: Pacific is a good wargame, but when I beta-tested it, part of the Pacific General "vibe" wasn't there yet.
The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45

-budd-

looked at those. Do they have that forced turn limit time pressure thing like panzer general. Played pacific general way back when, never played fantasy general. If they have that turn limit, puzzle nature, i just cant go back to that. I'm interested in fantasy general, actually both if they don't force you along with stringent turn limits. To puzzle like for me.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Sir Slash

They both had turn-limits determining victory like PzG. Fantasy General also had one of the most difficult AI's to beat of any game anytime. But both were classics for their day.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

gameleaper

thanks guys , I got all the general games except the 3D one, fantasy gen scrolls to fast, but it has a strategic  mini map you can click on. but ultimate gen was a real corker loved it

George

I bought the original one when it came out back in the 90's, revisiting it a few years ago. The main points I remembered were the fragility of the Japanese land units and the soundtrack. There was no panzer/stuka combination equivalent that could crush all opposition swiftly so you had to be very careful with your ground forces. The most enduring memory I have of the game was of the soundtrack. The soundtrack was done using a fake radio station approach with songs from the period from various countries and announcers in various languages. Strangely enough, it generated a much more relaxed atmosphere compared to the original Panzer General game which sometimes led me to forget about the turn limit of a scenario as I listened to the music :-)
Military Operations - http://militaryoperationshq.com

smithcorp

Anyone know if its possible to change the screen resolution in Pacific Generals? I got the GoG version, running in Win 8.1 and no option in the menu, or an .ini file I can find to change the resolution. Any help appreciated.

Pete Dero

Quote from: smithcorp on December 22, 2015, 04:43:02 AM
Anyone know if its possible to change the screen resolution in Pacific Generals? I got the GoG version, running in Win 8.1 and no option in the menu, or an .ini file I can find to change the resolution. Any help appreciated.

I don't have this game so I haven't tried it, but people claim it works.

How to run Pacific General in a (resizable) window  :

http://www.gog.com/forum/pacific_general/how_to_run_pacific_general_in_a_window/post1

http://sourceforge.net/projects/dxwnd/

JasonPratt

Quote from: -budd- on September 29, 2015, 09:03:38 PM
looked at those. Do they have that forced turn limit time pressure thing like panzer general...  never played fantasy general. If they have that turn limit, puzzle nature, i just cant go back to that. I'm interested in fantasy general, actually both if they don't force you along with stringent turn limits. To puzzle like for me.

FantGen does have the turn limit, sorry. De riguer for a PGish game. Also, and to me more importantly, it has a coding cheat to offset human players deciding to limit upgrade paths to only a few units so as to get to the uber-units too quickly: if you don't spend your xp widely enough, the game will spawn ridiculous numbers of overpowered units. (They hadn't quite thought out or tested the player's upgrade system and found out it could be easily exploited too late to redesign, so they haxored a punishment for trying to exploit it. To be fair, they were as up-front and transparent about this as they could be.)

Fantasy Wars and its sequel(s) Elven Legacy (and its three DLC expansion campaigns) are a mostly-improved colorful 3D version of the Fantasy General engine, which while not as epic in its story has more actual 'story' to it. (Originally they were intending to directly remake FG but lost or didn't quite get the ip rights, so they wrote a spiritual sequel to it.) For a narrative AAR of half of both of the main campaigns in the first game, see my sig currently.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!