Weekend Warrioring - Friday Gaming Thread

Started by undercovergeek, June 01, 2012, 09:43:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

Civ V'ing all afternoon :)

(was out w/ REI laying mulch on trails all morning)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Huw the Poo

Rather unexpectedly, I have returned to Rift! \o/

Martok

I'm on another "all-space-4x" kick this weekend... 

Per usual, I have my PBEM games in Armada 2526 Supernova.  One of my non-GH matches isn't going well -- one of my human players conquered my homeworld! -- but otherwise I'm doing pretty well in the rest. 

I'm continuing my Wekkarus campaign Distant Worlds: Legends.  Have I mentioned lately how much I love the AI automation in this game (despite its flaws)?  It's honestly the biggest reason why I can actually play this massive real-time 4x title. 

I've gotten some decent time in on my Romulan campaign in Birth of the Federation (BOP mod).  Haven't met any of the major powers yet (the huge maps are so ginormous it's almost absurd!), but have found a good number of minors who should prove useful to me. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

MarkShot

Playing CMAK.  Assaulted a fortified ridge with infantry.  I took most of the ridge, but fell short of taking the crest.

Perhaps, I could have done better to maintain the pace of the action, but it was extremely hot and hard fighting up hill.  There was also a AA gun at the top slowing my advance.  However, I had already used my few mortars early in the assault to suppress the first line of defenders so that I could secure a toehold on the lower terrace defense of the ridge.  With no mortar support left, the final assault on the crest was depending on concentrated fire to suppress the AA gun.  Of course, a few mortar rounds might have made a difference.

Oh, well ...

Gusington

Killed The Butcher in Diablo III and finally moved on to Act II. Got the Enchantress as my partner now...hubba hubba

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

W8taminute

^Congrats on killing the Butcher Gus.  I know that he was giving you a hard time.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Bison

I've ended up getting sucked back into Combat Mission this weekend.  Did a WW2 battle this afternoon and am getting ready to fire up an Afghanistan mission tonight.

Bison

Well I successfully ran a Soviet movement to contact mission pulling off a minor victory.  It's pretty interesting these days with Combat Mission.  You can do the WW2 thing with CMBN, 80's Soviet invasion of Afghanistan with CMA or 2000's middle east conflict with CMSF.  That is an excellent range of tactical comsim.

jomni

Damn!  Spent most my weekend creating an airport in X-Plane.  And spent the rest doing a flight in FSX and BF3 (PS3) in between.
The airpot editing really gets in the way and I've been doing it for a week already.  Can't wait to see the airport in action.

Bison

Attempted to assault Herat with Soviet troops.  I made a great push into the city initially, but my mechanized troops got stalled by Afghani RPG and small rifle teams.  The Herat map is a brutal urban planning nightmare.

Shifted gears back to CMBN for a late night battle.  My pixeljoes took a beating attempting to assualt a small urban build up that was masterfully defended by the Germans.  It was ugly.

TheCommandTent

Quote from: Bison on June 04, 2012, 04:55:50 AM
Attempted to assault Herat with Soviet troops.  I made a great push into the city initially, but my mechanized troops got stalled by Afghani RPG and small rifle teams.  The Herat map is a brutal urban planning nightmare.

Shifted gears back to CMBN for a late night battle.  My pixeljoes took a beating attempting to assualt a small urban build up that was masterfully defended by the Germans.  It was ugly.

Sounds like quite the night of gaming.  Do you have any screenshots for the screenshot thread from your games?
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Gusington

^Yeah I would like to see some Afghan pics too.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

CMBN I had 2 German officers on the 2nd floor of a 3 story bldg keep sniping at my troops below and suppressing the troops in the bldg. and I had no idea they were there until a unit went up to the top floor and was on the way back downstairs and run into them. I couldn't figure out where the hell the fire was coming from. This games alot different than the original CM.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

MengJiao

Quote from: Bison on June 03, 2012, 10:51:55 PM
I've ended up getting sucked back into Combat Mission this weekend.  Did a WW2 battle this afternoon and am getting ready to fire up an Afghanistan mission tonight.

I skillfully avoided CMBN-CWF this weekend and played Iron Front and WITPAE PBEM.

Bison

Quote from: TheCommandTent on June 04, 2012, 07:28:10 AM
Quote from: Bison on June 04, 2012, 04:55:50 AM

Sounds like quite the night of gaming.  Do you have any screenshots for the screenshot thread from your games?

Quote from: Gusington on June 04, 2012, 09:39:39 AM
^Yeah I would like to see some Afghan pics too.

I'll whip something up.