Teens step forward to serve as pallbearers for veteran with no family

Started by steve58, January 03, 2017, 04:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

Apparently there is hope for our youth... :notworthy:

Navy veteran Jerry Wayne Pino died on Dec. 12th in Long Beach, Mississippi.  He was 70 years old.

We don't know that much about Jerry. He was born in Baton Rouge and joined the Navy in New Orleans. He was a petty officer third class in Vietnam. That's the extent of his biography.

No family. No friends. He died alone.

Jerry's body lay unclaimed for several weeks at Riemann Family Funeral Homes.

"No one stepped forward," funeral home worker Cathy Warden told me. "He just didn't have any family."

Miss Cathy explained the situation to her colleague Eva Boomer and together they decided something must be done to give this veteran a proper send off.

"Something had to be done with respect," Miss Cathy said. "We had to give him what he deserved. Nobody should go alone."

Miss Eva, who is also a veteran, wondered if some of the boys at Long Beach High School might be willing to serve as pallbearers. It was a longshot, though, seeing how most of the students were out on Christmas break.

But Miss Cathy called her teenage son Bryce who in turn texted some of his friends – and within a matter of minutes, six young men had volunteered to serve at a stranger's funeral.

Nobody should go alone.

"It was the right thing to do," 17-year-old Bailey Griffin told me. "He served our country. He fought for our rights. For him to be buried with nobody there was just sad. I told myself I was going to do it and I did it."

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2017/01/03/teens-step-forward-to-serve-as-pallbearers-for-veteran-with-no-family.html
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Barthheart

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

MetalDog

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Bison

That's a great story, but there should be a military unit assigned to perform funeral detail in the area.  Good for the young men, but where is the Navy?

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Bison on January 03, 2017, 07:38:44 PMGood for the young men, but where is the Navy?

Maybe the teachers didn't know who to contact?

If one of them is a veteran, you'd think she'd know who to call at the VA, but I don't know if they always provide a full detail.

At one military funeral, I was the entire funeral detail: I presented a pre-folded flag to the next of kin, and I had a recording of Taps that we played over a small PA system, but the funeral home provided the pallbearers.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Sir Slash

Had something similar happen where I live. About a year ago one of the downtown antique shops closed when the owner died. The new owner found a vase containing someone's ashes hidden in the shop. Through the local funeral home he was able to find out who the remains belonged to and their next of kin out of state. Seems the deceased wanted her ashes sent to relatives but her boyfriend, the shop owner didn't want to part with her and kept her death and cremation a secret until he died. The new shop owner did a very good deed to get her remains to her family as she originally wanted.  O0
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

bbmike

Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 03, 2017, 08:50:01 PM
Quote from: Bison on January 03, 2017, 07:38:44 PMGood for the young men, but where is the Navy?

Maybe the teachers didn't know who to contact?

If one of them is a veteran, you'd think she'd know who to call at the VA, but I don't know if they always provide a full detail.

At one military funeral, I was the entire funeral detail: I presented a pre-folded flag to the next of kin, and I had a recording of Taps that we played over a small PA system, but the funeral home provided the pallbearers.

If I recall correctly I think there was (is still?) a problem with finding actual people that could play Taps in situations like this and that's why recordings are used.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

bayonetbrant