Wait, a proper WH40k game? Turn based dawn of war shenanigans?

Started by undercovergeek, August 02, 2016, 07:04:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

JasonPratt

Hard to say. I think it's semi-linear? There are plot-choke points that you have to get through, but you can choose a selection of approaches to get to those points (maybe all the optional missions between plot points, too). I haven't played enough yet to be sure, but the campaign map looks that way.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Finished the first proper mission early this afternoon. I finally turned off the (I call it loosely) 'music'. It's eerie and wolfy for the first loop or two, and then I am praying for death. I still find the UI clunky. For some reason I feel like I'm squinting a lot. The unit selection method for going into new battles is... ... not altogether intuitive. Basically all currently-available units in the army are thrown out onto the map, and then you select the ones you want to keep on the map for the mission. For your first move, you then get to drag the units around your half of the map (on small maps anyway) to position them for the initial orc assault.

I'm on mission two, or perhaps I should say mission 1.1: after the first mission there are a selection of skirmishes, as I suspected, at least one or two of which must be completed to progress. The area I chose has no direct link to the next 'story' area, so I'll see what happens afterward.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!


Gusington

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd