Funny Graphics Elitism

Started by Cheimison, October 23, 2017, 02:34:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Cheimison

I was trawling around reddit and came across this post: https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/32g0hj/console_users_or_the_i_dont_care_about_graphics/
TL;DR = he doesn't believe console gamers don't care about graphics, they're just jelly because PC is so much better.
Well, yes, PC does have the capacity to be much more graphically intensive. As to the motives of console gamers I can't say.
But the hole in his argument should be obvious to us who play 30 year old merchant sims and games where the 'graphics' are tiny squares with NATO symbols on them. I don't think he seems to be aware that such games even exist, or that they're exclusively for the PC master race. His conceit depends entirely on the notion that everyone plays games with bouncing anime boobs and explosions. I personally wish most of the games I played had less graphics, I don't like the clutter or the drain on system memory. Faster turn resolution trumps lens flare on pikes any day.

Crossroads

NATO symbols on counters, with hexes as far as the eye can see  :smitten:
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam | CS: Middle East

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East DARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

spelk

Quote from: Crossroads on October 23, 2017, 02:44:51 PM
NATO symbols on counters, with hexes as far as the eye can see  :smitten:

:clap:

I'm all for hex and chits.... big style!

.... BUT some of the most imaginative and interesting games I play are depicted solely in ASCII!

Exhibit A m'lud...

http://www.ascii-curious.com/2017/07/the-burning-hoak-tree.html

Crossroads

Quote from: spelk on October 23, 2017, 02:50:52 PM
Quote from: Crossroads on October 23, 2017, 02:44:51 PM
NATO symbols on counters, with hexes as far as the eye can see  :smitten:

:clap:

I'm all for hex and chits.... big style!

.... BUT some of the most imaginative and interesting games I play are depicted solely in ASCII!

Exhibit A m'lud...

http://www.ascii-curious.com/2017/07/the-burning-hoak-tree.html

Ha. My first intro to NATO symbols was "NATO Commander", back in the Commodore 64 days

Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam | CS: Middle East

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East DARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Cheimison

Quote from: Crossroads on October 23, 2017, 02:57:48 PM
Quote from: spelk on October 23, 2017, 02:50:52 PM
Quote from: Crossroads on October 23, 2017, 02:44:51 PM
NATO symbols on counters, with hexes as far as the eye can see  :smitten:

:clap:

I'm all for hex and chits.... big style!

.... BUT some of the most imaginative and interesting games I play are depicted solely in ASCII!

Exhibit A m'lud...

http://www.ascii-curious.com/2017/07/the-burning-hoak-tree.html

Ha. My first intro to NATO symbols was "NATO Commander", back in the Commodore 64 days



And it looks basically the same as Advanced Tactics Gold! That means that this was a PC and a console and has the same graphics as modern games - triple refutation, lol.

spelk

#5
Quote from: Crossroads on October 23, 2017, 02:57:48 PM
Ha. My first intro to NATO symbols was "NATO Commander", back in the Commodore 64 days


C64 them graphics were LUXURY compared to my ASCII! ;)