Battle for Wesnoth

Started by TheCommandTent, February 03, 2012, 10:10:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbmike

Quote from: bayonetbrant on May 03, 2018, 12:31:29 PM
it's been free everywhere else for 15 years ::)

;D

I know THAT, but it's never been on Steam. Very convenient.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

bayonetbrant

Quote from: bbmike on May 03, 2018, 12:39:42 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on May 03, 2018, 12:31:29 PM
it's been free everywhere else for 15 years ::)

;D

I know THAT, but it's never been on Steam. Very convenient.

gotcha.  I thought you were trying to say it was free on Steam while it cost $ somewhere else.  My bad.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Bardolph

Glad to see it on Steam, it is an excellent game and deserves some exposure.

FarAway Sooner

Yup.  This is definitely some great content!  Quite a pleasant little game.  I've often suspected it would shine in MP as well, but I never really tried it.

spelk

I've always liked Wesnoth from early on when I found it, but I think the one gripe I have about it is that ranged units are not true multi-hex LOS ranged units, you still have to be one hex adjacent to use ranged units, they just have bonuses to penetration and initiative and such like. Which sort of takes away some of the magic from having "ranged" capabilities at all. I think this aspect of the game is built into the core design of the game, and isn't going to change anytime soon - although its been a while since I've delved into Wesnoth and its community, so my info might be a little out of date.

JasonPratt

That ranged unit concept is very similar to the original Fantasy General design: siege works can shoot across multiple hexes, but "ranged" units are one hex shots with superior first strike capabilities (and next-hex unit counterfire support: someone attacks an adjacent friend, they get a face full of arrows).

FG also had "skirmisher" units which also only had 1hex ranges, but their first strike was inferior to "ranged". They had other benefits tho, such as segmented movement (ignoring enemy zone of control).

The spiritual-sequel to FG (discussed upthread) lets ranged units as well as siege shoot multiple hexes, but the ranged units lose the inherent counter-fire support ability (although this can be picked up as a random choice during upgrade, usually).
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!