Main Menu

Stellaris in 2022

Started by fran, October 15, 2022, 12:06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fran

Is anyone still playing Stellaris?

I never did, and it is in my Steam library...

That and HOI4...

Maybe I will wait for Victoria 3 (is on sale)

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

fran

Thanks for the reply. Do you play vanilla, mods or with any add-ons?

Anguille

Yes. It is still the most popular and the most played 4x available. The game is still being patched on a regular basis and new DLCs are still being released.

Imho, it's by far the easier to learn game released by Paradox and the only one i play on a regular basis.

I play vanilla but with many DLCs. You should have a look at discounts because Stellaris Complete is very expensive but some are must haves.

I am not as enthusiastic as Jarhead but it is one of the best space 4x available. Without a question it's also the most complete one (but again, this comes at high cost).

Jarhead0331

Quote from: fran on October 15, 2022, 12:10:34 PM
Thanks for the reply. Do you play vanilla, mods or with any add-ons?

I play with all of the DLCs and some mods, but many of them break with updates and some are not supported anymore, so more often than not, I end up with few mods if any.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Sigwolf

Anyone looking for the DLC's should take a look at the current Humble build-your-own dlc bundle.  Not sure how long it is valid.

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/promo/paradox-dlc-byob/

solops

I pretty much gave up on this title back when they eliminated two of the three movement modes, going to starlanes only. That killed the only unique thing about the game for me. There are plenty of other great starlane games out there.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Silent Disapproval Robot

I played it pretty heavily until they radically changed the development/economy system.  I think that was with the Megacorp DLC.  I really disliked the changes (especially to sector control & governance) but kept plugging away in the hopes that it was just me being resistant to change.  It might well be me but I just don't like the game as much with the new system as I did before the DLC.  I got back into it for a while when some friends picked it up and we played online but I haven't really gone back to it much.  I still do like the early phases of the game when you're exploring and staking claims but once you reach mid-game, my interest dies off pretty quickly.

Destraex

Quote from: solops on October 15, 2022, 04:32:29 PM
I pretty much gave up on this title back when they eliminated two of the three movement modes, going to starlanes only. That killed the only unique thing about the game for me. There are plenty of other great starlane games out there.

I agree. I was pretty bummed when they removed the light speed methods. I think I only got to play the game learning about that once before the change. So really did not get to experience it.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on October 15, 2022, 05:50:08 PM
I played it pretty heavily until they radically changed the development/economy system.  I think that was with the Megacorp DLC.  I really disliked the changes (especially to sector control & governance) but kept plugging away in the hopes that it was just me being resistant to change.  It might well be me but I just don't like the game as much with the new system as I did before the DLC.  I got back into it for a while when some friends picked it up and we played online but I haven't really gone back to it much.  I still do like the early phases of the game when you're exploring and staking claims but once you reach mid-game, my interest dies off pretty quickly.

Can't you just deactivate that particular DLC if you don't like the changes?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

bobarossa

I think a lot of changes are actually part of the patches that go along with them.  Even without the DLC, many changes occur to the base game (as with HOI4).  I got only a couple Stellaris DLC but am restricted to starlanes.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: bobarossa on October 16, 2022, 10:21:55 AM
I think a lot of changes are actually part of the patches that go along with them.  Even without the DLC, many changes occur to the base game (as with HOI4).  I got only a couple Stellaris DLC but am restricted to starlanes.

Starlanes wasn't a DLC change. It was a patch change.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Anguille

Imho, the starlanes only happened with the patch version 2.0. In order to play it with more travel options you have to find the version a number before that. The DLCs that come after 2.0 probably won't work well either if you play the game pre 2.0

One of my biggest complaint is that Stellaris has one of the most dull galaxy map of any space 4x...just plain ugly especially when you compare it to the system maps which are really great.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 16, 2022, 06:42:51 AM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on October 15, 2022, 05:50:08 PM

Can't you just deactivate that particular DLC if you don't like the changes?

I vaguely remember reading that you can now roll back the game but doing so means any DLC released after the offending one won't work either.