Main Menu

FRIDAY in a trashcan

Started by Pete Dero, November 11, 2022, 05:50:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

al_infierno

Quote from: Gusington on November 12, 2022, 03:50:42 PM
I know, I know...is Come and See streaming anywhere? I only see physical copies available :/

You can watch the full movie for free on Youtube, though the quality/subtitles might be iffy compared to a physical copy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjIiApN6cfg
I was waiting for a mission, and for my sins, they gave me one.

Gusington

^Was just going to post that:

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Father Ted

Quote from: al_infierno on November 12, 2022, 02:49:45 PM
It's movie weekend for me.  Barnes and Noble has a 50% off sale on Criterion so I came home with a grab bag of goodies.  What to watch first?   :dreamer:



Snowflake that I am,  a few of those aren't on my watchlist, but I'm a sucker for a western and I believe the remake of 3:10 is a decent watch

Gusington

Yeah the newer 3:10 to Yuma is supposed to be very good.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

#19
The 3:10 to Yuma remake is an OK action film with wild west window-dressing, but it really doesn't have anything on the original IMO.  I watched the original for the first time tonight and it's a master-class in "calm before the storm" dread.  A good chunk of the movie is just the good guys slowly breaking down under pressure while they wait for the train to come along.  Only a few people die through the course of the film, but it's more about the build-up and the character drama than the action itself (which is still very good by '50s standards, though dated by today's).

Throne of Blood is an excellent Macbeth-gone-samurai adaptation by the legendary director Akira Kurosawa, starring the equally legendary Toshiro Mifune in his archetypical badass samurai role.  The awesome visuals and insane stunts near the end make it well worth sitting through yet another telling of a tired old story IMO.  Basically, the crew literally fire volleys of arrows 5 feet away from Mifune's head for a late-film sequence.   :o

Videodrome is not for the faint of heart.   :buck2:

Have not actually seen Notorious yet, but I've heard great things and Hitchcock was of course the master of suspense.

I was waiting for a mission, and for my sins, they gave me one.

MengJiao

Quote from: al_infierno on November 12, 2022, 10:02:14 PM

Have not actually seen Notorious yet, but I've heard great things and Hitchcock was of course the master of suspense.


  Notorious is pretty good.  It's more of a character-oriented thing as the Cary Grant character realizes "I was a fathead full of pain."  BUT
Ingrid Bergman!  Yow!

Sigwolf

#21
Quote from: Gusington on November 12, 2022, 03:50:42 PM
I know, I know...is Come and See streaming anywhere? I only see physical copies available :/
The only place I see it is available for streaming is the Criterion Channel.

https://www.criterionchannel.com/come-and-see

Subscription required, but I believe they have a free trial.

edit... oops, missed page 2 before I replied.  Oh well, at least you know the video quality will be good with the Criterion option.

Gusington

^Thanks man. I will be watching Come and See very soon.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd