VICTORIA III - Available now!

Started by CJReich46, May 21, 2021, 02:19:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

solops

Could not bring myself to buy this in spite of this being my favorite time period, next to ancients. Just too many dodgy sounding mechanics, not to mention a general displeasure with Paradox's releases the last couple of years.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

SirAndrewD

Just give it time and about 15-20 DLC releases and it'll be fine.   :tophat:
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

devoncop

Quote from: solops on April 15, 2023, 09:37:27 AMCould not bring myself to buy this in spite of this being my favorite time period, next to ancients. Just too many dodgy sounding mechanics, not to mention a general displeasure with Paradox's releases the last couple of years.

I understand completely the above sentiments. From someone who loved EU3 and the early years of EU4 I have seen a company that at least gave the impression of being run by wargame enthusiasts to one who now seem in thrall to the marketing dept.

Victoria III (along with the absolute shambles that was Empire of Sin that was published to great fanfare by Paradox and then abandoned) is the latest manifestation of a severe downward trajectory in quality in the interests of dlc bloat.

I have consigned Paradox to "the dustbin of history) in sadness more than anger but it is a cautionary tale for other developers.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

glen55

Quote from: devoncop on April 15, 2023, 03:31:10 PM
Quote from: solops on April 15, 2023, 09:37:27 AMCould not bring myself to buy this in spite of this being my favorite time period, next to ancients. Just too many dodgy sounding mechanics, not to mention a general displeasure with Paradox's releases the last couple of years.

I understand completely the above sentiments. From someone who loved EU3 and the early years of EU4 I have seen a company that at least gave the impression of being run by wargame enthusiasts to one who now seem in thrall to the marketing dept.

Victoria III (along with the absolute shambles that was Empire of Sin that was published to great fanfare by Paradox and then abandoned) is the latest manifestation of a severe downward trajectory in quality in the interests of dlc bloat.

I have consigned Paradox to "the dustbin of history) in sadness more than anger but it is a cautionary tale for other developers.

I know what you're talking about but take care re the baby/bathwater situation. CK3 is as good a game as I have ever played.
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Gusington

Empire of Sin never got the development/post release care it deserved?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

Yeah, I agree with the general sentiment on Paradox's current business model. 

There's no way I will ever buy one of their base games at release price, ever again.  At this point it's hard to argue that they're not just releasing bare bones engines as Day 1 releases, barely fully games.  There's a touch of hyperbole in what I say but only a touch.

I mean, maybe if they released a fully haptic Margo Robbie adventure game in VR I'd get it. 

That's about it. 

Or Hearts of Iron V.  (Kidding)

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

devoncop

Quote from: glen55 on April 15, 2023, 04:04:13 PM

I know what you're talking about but take care re the baby/bathwater situation. CK3 is as good a game as I have ever played.

I take your point re CK3 Glen. I do own the bare bones base game but once again it is really a skeleton upon which (large amounts of)  dlc are designed to add flesh.
It is not a sales concept I can warm to.

If I compare it to the Pathfinder games, for all of their quirks they are huge fully fleshed out games on release.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

fran

Quote from: glen55 on April 15, 2023, 04:04:13 PM

I agree CK3 does not disappoint, and was playable from day one

fran

Quote from: Gusington on April 15, 2023, 04:53:36 PMEmpire of Sin never got the development/post release care it deserved?

Empire of Sin promised so much. Did not buy it, and unfortunately that it was a flop

Gusington

^Yeah that game really did look to promise so much, sad to see it languish and die.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Grim.Reaper

Although I understand people don't like the dlc model, but really? The base games not worth the cost? I think they contain plenty to make it playable and worth a purchase.  What other games offer more and same type?

jamus34

I never felt empires of sin was ever going to work or be successful for Paradox. I think a better example is Imperitor Rome as a game that failed but shouldn't. And as such only received 1 dlc before it was abandoned.

I'll never buy one of their games full price again but I still get enjoyment out of them and will play occasionally
Insert witty comment here.