Heart of the Machine - Hooded Horse

Started by ArizonaTank, February 02, 2025, 01:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

ArizonaTank

The next Hooded Horse title, "Heart of the Machine" is released in early access.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2001070/Heart_of_the_Machine/

The premise is that the player controls an AI, bent on controlling a city crawling with pesky humans.

I like pretty much everything Hooded Horse has published, so I bought right away. I have a few hours into it.

At first, I found the UI confusing, and focus of the game disorienting. Like "Terra Invicta" before it, the game is innovative and not like anything else. About 30 minutes in, I almost quit.

But I stuck with it, and am glad I did. It took a while, but eventually "the light bulb" went off for me. As advertised it is part RPG, part city-builder, part-tactical combat, part-strategy game.

The game offers you interesting choices down your path to take-over. Strategies like just killing the humans since they are 'not worth talking to,' trying to be nice to them to manipulate them, or going down a path somewhere in-between.

I still need to play it much more, but I am really starting to like it now.

If the theme interests you, or you generally like Hooded Horse's stuff, try it out.

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

HoodedHorseMatt

Much like Heart, Chris is a machine and has already shared the first patch. It's so lengthy that the full patch is found in the Heart of the Machine wiki, linked inside.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2001070/view/532089070251148225?l=english

JasonPratt

I have about decided that I should just save up money for HH games first, and then if I have any left over spend it on books, food, and other games. Not necessarily in that order.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

solops

I am attracted to the idea, but I am struggling with the UI and gameflow. It is intriguing enough that I will stick with it for now.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin
Bless those who heal our injuries.
Customer support by AI is evil.