The Chinese Navy

Started by GDS_Starfury, January 26, 2013, 12:12:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

Quote from: LongBlade on February 06, 2013, 09:57:33 PMI would be more than happy to help draft a strongly worded letter.

Use big red letters
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Centurion40

And now this:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/07/world/asia/japan-russia-jets/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

(CNN) -- Japan's military scrambled fighters Thursday after two Russian SU-27 jets entered Japanese airspace off Rishiri Island near the tip of Japan's northernmost Hokkaido Island, according to the country's Defense Ministry.

The Russian jets left Japanese airspace without incident after a little more than a minute, the ministry said.
The incident occurred near territory disputed by Japan and Russia since the end of World War II.

Japanese officials lodged an official protest with Russia over the incident, Japan's Kyodo news service reported.

The Japanese might be getting a little edgy.
Any time is a good time for pie.

Longdan

Russians do that whenever they are bored and have saved up enough Jet B.
Territory disputed..since the end of World War II?  It has been a little longer than that
I think?
digni enim sunt interdicunt

Martok

Quote from: Longdan on February 07, 2013, 12:27:11 PM
Territory disputed..since the end of World War II?  It has been a little longer than that
I think?
An argument can be made it went back to 1905 at least. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Staggerwing

IIRC the two had a bit of a tiff right about then, with the Russians' losing custody of the yacht and the beach house.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Mr. Bigglesworth

"Other military experts suggest Beijing has decided to intensify its operations against Japan, a nation whose wartime aggression is remembered across Asia, because confrontations with smaller neighbors in recent years had led to a region-wide diplomatic backlash."The Senkaku/Diaoyu hoopla of late is triggered by China's desire to extricate itself from total regional isolation caused by China's expansive territorial claims against virtually all of its maritime neighbors," said Yu Maochun, an expert on the PLA at the Annapolis, Maryland United States Naval Academy. "

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/03/06/us-china-japan-navy-idUSBRE9251GU20130306

So to cow the smaller countries, China is going after the big regional navy.

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

besilarius

Sounds like how Lucky Luciano muscled out the Irish mob in Brooklyn.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

LongBlade

Around here someplace there was a post with a discussion of how Japan may be facing an energy shortage soon.

This has some parallels to the 1930s when Japan was short on energy and raw materials. We may see some kind of conflict over those islands in the not-too-distant future.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Mr. Bigglesworth

Quote from: LongBlade on March 07, 2013, 11:13:31 AM
Around here someplace there was a post with a discussion of how Japan may be facing an energy shortage soon.

This has some parallels to the 1930s when Japan was short on energy and raw materials. We may see some kind of conflict over those islands in the not-too-distant future.

I remember something about that after they started shutting down their nuclear energy plants. They are welcome to Canadian oil.

I find myself thinking Australia, a country with a massive solar overheating problem, could become a solar to hydrogen power. They split sea water, ship the hydrogen to Japan. Japan gets clean power which they want. Building the infrastructure for a relatively small country would be easy. All points are fairly close to a coast for resupply. Building new energy tech would be good for their economy. Later, Canada buys their hydrogen tech for oil.

It tightens cooperation between Japan and the British Commonwealth.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Martok

Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on March 06, 2013, 10:48:10 PM
So to cow the smaller countries, China is going after the big regional navy.
Also, they may generate at least a modicum of goodwill among their neighbors by confronting the former "big bully" on their block. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Boggit

Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on March 07, 2013, 12:26:51 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on March 07, 2013, 11:13:31 AM

I remember something about that after they started shutting down their nuclear energy plants. They are welcome to Canadian oil.

I find myself thinking Australia, a country with a massive solar overheating problem, could become a solar to hydrogen power. They split sea water, ship the hydrogen to Japan. Japan gets clean power which they want. Building the infrastructure for a relatively small country would be easy. All points are fairly close to a coast for resupply. Building new energy tech would be good for their economy. Later, Canada buys their hydrogen tech for oil.

It tightens cooperation between Japan and the British Commonwealth.
Sounds a win-win sittuation.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat