Anyone heard of "Project Shield" from Nvidia?

Started by DeathTouchWilly, April 03, 2013, 07:59:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeathTouchWilly

I was out at Nvidia's Santa Clara offices on business (and, no, I didn't get any free video cards  :-[) and most of the tech geeks I talked to on their campus are really stoked about Project Shield:

NVIDIA showed the Shield running PC games such as Need For Speed: Most Wanted and Assassin's Creed III on a 4K LG display on stage. The games streamed from a gaming PC located somewhere off stage. Ideally the games would stream over a home Wi-Fi network so gamers can play their PC games without having to sit at their PC.

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2013/01/07/nvidia-announces-project-shield-android-console-in-a-controller/

Anybody heard of this? Since I know we're a PC gaming bunch I have to wonder if there's any appeal to playing PC games on your (presumably) larger TV with a console controller. I probably game on my Xbox as much as my PC so this is an interesting concept for me.

DeathTouchWilly

Also here's a pic I took from one of their break rooms - the counter top is essentially "tiled" with GPUs from old graphics cards.  :P

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.