Peninsular War Battles on Steam

Started by SirAndrewD, September 02, 2017, 03:06:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

SirAndrewD

Just saw this pop up on my recommendations.  Hadn't heard about it until today.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/675950/Peninsular_War_Battles/

Seems to have a bit of an Age of Rifles vibe on just a quick look.  Anyone know anything more about it? 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Grim.Reaper

I am always very cautious of war games that pop out of nowhere.....especially when under $10.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 02, 2017, 04:24:02 PM
I am always very cautious of war games that pop out of nowhere.....especially when under $10.

Same here.   Especially with Steam's track record of vetting games.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Boggit

It's by Hexwar who did Slitherine's Field of Glory, which is a lot of fun. To be honest, I have little idea of what Hexwar's games are like. I've had a look at their website, and they look a bit generic, but I could be completely wrong and doing them an injustice. Has anyone played them?
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Staggerwing

Wasn't Hexwar that web site where you could subscribe and then play their various in-house hex-based war-games head to head on the internet?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

Quote from: Staggerwing on September 02, 2017, 06:29:30 PM
Wasn't Hexwar that web site where you could subscribe and then play their various in-house hex-based war-games head to head on the internet?

That's what I was thinking. I remember them from 10-12 years ago.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Nefaro


jomni

Quote from: Nefaro on September 03, 2017, 11:18:41 AM
Looks like a mobile game port.
And they've done small Civil War battles too. Not sure if the rules are the same.

HoodedHorseJoe

Quote from: Nefaro on September 03, 2017, 11:18:41 AM
Looks like a mobile game port.

That's because it is.

HexWar has released a lot of games on iOS for tablets, and that's their primary market I think. Over the past few months (and for the foreseeable future), they're porting their existing library of games to Steam and Android devices. Peninsular War Battles was released on iOS back in 2015.
Communications Director
Hooded Horse

We are a publisher of indie games with strategic and tactical depth. 28 projects and counting, come check out our portfolio on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store!

You may have seen me around in previous roles such as editor of Wargamer.com and Strategy Gamer.

MC

Just go to the Peninsular war link above, scroll down until you see "Developer: HexWar Games" on the sidebar and click on that. It will give you a list of everything they currently have available on steam. Most of their stuff is wargaming-lite, depends on your preference.

JasonPratt

They have some boardgame conversions, too, which tend to cost more money; 1776 for example (north and south campaigns, I forget which is the DLC, south I think?)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Jarhead0331

I have bought a number of the Hexwar games for iOS and have found all of them to be boring and overly formulaic. Just not my cup of tea. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


MC

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 06, 2017, 04:01:25 PM
I have bought a number of the Hexwar games for iOS and have found all of them to be boring and overly formulaic. Just not my cup of tea.

That pretty much sums up my thoughts on it too.

Philippe

#13
I was feeling guilty because I hadn't finished my Peninsular War mod (though I've finally managed to construct most of the key components).  So I hoped that if I bought this game it might inspire me put in the necessary hours. 

Was I ever wrong.  I've become more tolerant of beer and pretzels over the years, but this was too much.  If they'd invested half the effort into modeling Napoleonic warfare that they put into the graphics, it would be a great game.  But it's not.

I played it for half an hour and then put in for a refund.

And if anyone's wondering, Steam refunds very quickly (almost instantly) if you uninstal before asking for your money back.
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.


History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.


Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Philippe on September 06, 2017, 11:57:03 PM
I was feeling guilty because I hadn't finished my Peninsular War mod (though I've finally managed to construct most of the key components).  So I hoped that if I bought this game it might inspire me put in the necessary hours. 

Was I ever wrong.  I've become more tolerant of beer and pretzels over the years, but this was too much.  If they'd invested half the effort into modeling Napoleonic warfare that they put into the graphics, it would be a great game.  But it's not.

I played it for half an hour and then put in for a refund.

And if anyone's wondering, Steam refunds very quickly (almost instantly) if you uninstal before asking for your money back.

Kind of what I'd feared.  Style over substance.  Thanks for being the Guinea Pig on this one though. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback