7 Grand Steps - ill get it wrong, just try it

Started by undercovergeek, May 23, 2013, 03:09:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

undercovergeek

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=gEH3IjFVcY0

tried explaining it to Huw the other night, i cant - just download the demo and give it a go.

I enjoyed it very much, and the demo only scrapes the surface, in short - a small puzzle based board game version of Civ with trackable ancestory and lineage

go on, you know you want to

Nefaro

I see this on Steam for a small 10% off deal.

Perhaps I'll give it a go, if you think it's worthy UCG.

Barthheart

Damn you UCG! Now I have another game.  :P

(been playing it all day here at work.... great fun)

undercovergeek

Quote from: Barthheart on June 11, 2013, 02:15:06 PM

lol sorry - itll do that to you

Tpek

It's an interesting little game.
I've yet to finish it though.

JasonPratt

I noticed this afternoon that the title has significantly changed to clarify this game represents only the first of the "Steps".
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Nefaro

Quote from: JasonPratt on June 11, 2013, 03:10:13 PM
I noticed this afternoon that the title has significantly changed to clarify this game represents only the first of the "Steps".

Yes.  The Steam forums were alight with people who suggested that they mention it was only Part 1 of an intended 7 in the series.  Some politely, some not so much. 

It's intersting in a boardgame way.  Not sure how much I'll come back to it after reaching the end, but you can definitely lose some time in there.

Tuna

I want your job!

Barthheart

Quote from: Tuna on June 11, 2013, 03:24:16 PM

I want your job!

Yeah well... mostly I stare at CFD simulations of liquid xenon moving around in various experiment designs..... can't run much else while that happens so.....  ;)

bbmike

Just a warning, don't try the demo or you'll end up buying it.  ;D
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

JasonPratt

At $14 a pop (and that's on sale, albeit a small introductory sale), I don't know that I'd want part 1 of 7. So the whole game will be $100 (when not on sale)??? For that it had better be better than Distant Worlds. Or Part 1 had better be like Geneforge or something of that ilk.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Tamas

Quote from: JasonPratt on June 11, 2013, 07:00:15 PM
At $14 a pop (and that's on sale, albeit a small introductory sale), I don't know that I'd want part 1 of 7. So the whole game will be $100 (when not on sale)??? For that it had better be better than Distant Worlds. Or Part 1 had better be like Geneforge or something of that ilk.

The developer guy worked for 4 years on this one, writing all the stories and whatnot which may pop up for you.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the following episodes, because even if they get published, it will take decades :)
And the game is strangely addicting. And strangely unique.

GJK

Jeeezuz Christ!  You guys will buy anything, won't you???  That's NO WARGAME!!!! >:( >:( >:(
Looks kind of interesting though.....
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Barthheart

This game has really got it's hooks into me.

The styling is like nothing I've ever played before. The mechanics of the game are dead simple but there is so much strategy going on that I find my self pondering most actions before taking them.
Finally made it to the Bronze age yesterday after about 6 or 7 generations of my "family". Even made it into the ruling class and made tons of coins from bribes running the grain stores. Then we lost all the grain and were banished back to the nobility. Ancestors in the bronze age are now trying to reclaim that past glory.

Just.... one.... more..... turn......
8)