Looking for operational ancient or medieval game

Started by Nikodil, July 11, 2013, 01:20:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nikodil

Hello all Grogheads!

There seem to be a lot of games dealing with either tactical level warfare or grand strategy (or both, as in Total War). But is there anything out there dealing with operational strategy and logistics in either ancient or medieval setting? Such as a short campaign during a single season in say ancient greece or feudal japan. I had in mind computer games, but board game suggestions are welcome too.

Barthheart

How about Hegemony: Gold

http://www.longbowgames.com/hegemony/

There's even a demo to try out.

Logistics is a big part of this game.

Nefaro

Alea Jacta Est and Birth of Rome is right down that alley.

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/445/details/Alea.Jacta.Est

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/460/details/Birth.of.Rome

Hegemony: Gold is a fun grand strategy game but it's not as detailed in the warfare department.  Still worth a play.

Kushan

I second the recommendation for Hegemony: Gold and AJE/BOR. All 3 are really great games. Although it should be noted that Hegemony is both grand strategy and tactical like Total War. But unlike Total War there is no split between the tactical and strategics maps.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

spelk

I'd +1 Nefaro's AGEOD suggestions.. plus I'd also include the likes of Magitech's Strength and Honor Roman games

http://www.ezgame.com/Mobile/page_PC_Games/

They have a strategic/operational level of play, along with a tactical mode like Total War.., plus they do Sango/Takeda Japanese stuff.

Perhaps Anguille would have more to say on the matter though.

Yskonyn

Wasn't S&H 2 considered a big letdown by Groghead denizens?
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Nikodil

Hegemony: Gold might be what I'm looking for. I see it's on summer sale for 3.74 € on steam so I'll give it a try.

mikeck

Quote from: Yskonyn on July 11, 2013, 02:33:09 PM
Wasn't S&H 2 considered a big letdown by Groghead denizens?

You know I had actually bought and played strength and honor before. I remember the graphics weren't  great because the resolution was Set low but I don't really remember why I didn't like it. frankly I don't remember why anyone doesn't like it. looking at the site it looks like a great game not sure why it wasn't popular
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

spelk

I think the tactical battles were accomplished with 2d sprites... but that hasn't done Dominions 3 any harm. :)

Wolfe1759

Hannibal: Rome and Carthage in the Second Punic War might be an idea though it does lean more towards the strategic.

"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill

Gusington

+10 to Hegemony Gold...I'm not that into ancient Greece but I got totally immersed in Hegemony Gold for 2-3 weeks.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mikeck

Quote from: spelk on July 11, 2013, 04:23:25 PM
I think the tactical battles were accomplished with 2d sprites... but that hasn't done Dominions 3 any harm. :)

Yeah, that's true. Lately between Dominons and Moo3, I've gotten used to crappu graphics. Never cared for Hegemony but might have to give Strength and Honor another shot
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

LongBlade

Quote from: Nikodil on July 11, 2013, 03:43:37 PM
Hegemony: Gold might be what I'm looking for. I see it's on summer sale for 3.74 € on steam so I'll give it a try.

Go for it. It's well worth that kind of money.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Nefaro

Quote from: Wolfe1759 on July 11, 2013, 04:48:25 PM
Hannibal: Rome and Carthage in the Second Punic War might be an idea though it does lean more towards the strategic.

I greatly enjoyed this game.  Partially because it's loosely based on an old tabletop wargame and plays like one.  Another reason is that the AI will stomp you.  The price of such a nice AI challenge being that you can only play from the Carthaginian side and it's single-player only, as that was the focus.  I highly recommend it for these reasons (and the art/map style and music is quite nice too!).

I can't wait to see what the developer cooks up for his next game, which will be a multi-sided affair covering a similar period.

Who knows?  Maybe Matrix will have it on one of their weekly sales before long, if it's too pricey for you?

besilarius

Just to give it a try, there is a Strength and Honor 2 demo at the magitech website, or gamershell.org
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.