Elder Scrolls Online

Started by Bison, June 13, 2012, 05:40:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

Here's something for the fans of Skyrim and earlier Elder Scrolls games to keep an eye on for the next year or so until release in 2013.

Elder Scrolls Online.  Not a lot of details but some interesting screenshots and the FAQ.  I'm sure the media for this will ramp up over time.

http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en/#media

Staggerwing

I'm not quite sure I want to make the journey to Tamriel and embark on a daring quest surrounded by the gorgeous scenery just to have a bunch of snot-nosed guttersnipes grief up the mood with their LULZ 'n HAXX smack talk while getting in my damn way.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Bison

I think it'll be interesting how they implement crafting, looting and adventuring for a group.  In the end, I do enjoy the pleasant solitude and no grind pressure of Skyrim as reaching the end game is not the goal for me in most games I play.

Seytan

The graphics looks sort of blah to me. I also note the game world setup is a mirror of DAOC. Sadly the very person who did the most to ruin DOAC in my opinion is on the team. This individual was the force behind TOA. Look at the wiki on DAOC, from 250k subs up until TOA then it slid off a cliff.

Anyway my nephew is interested in playing this and wants me to join as well so I might just to make him happy.

Kushan

ESO will have a $15 subscription fee. Looks like I won't be playing it after all. At least until it inevitably goes F2P

I honestly can't believe any company (except Blizzard) can think a subscription MMO can still work.

http://m.gamestar.de/artikel/the-elder-scrolls-online,3026853.html

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/21/the-elder-scrolls-online-will-require-a-1499-monthly-subscription-fee?utm_campaign=fbposts&utm_source=facebook
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

Nefaro

Quote from: Bison on June 13, 2012, 08:13:13 PM
I think it'll be interesting how they implement crafting, looting and adventuring for a group.  In the end, I do enjoy the pleasant solitude and no grind pressure of Skyrim as reaching the end game is not the goal for me in most games I play.

Yeah, I like the journey too. 

I have serious doubts as to whether this will be anything but WOW with a different coat of paint.  The other end of the spectrum, the sandbox MMO, has it's own downsides too.

Toonces

I would think that a $15 subscription fee would at least make a dent in thinning out the riffraff.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Staggerwing

^Yeah, I'll consider paying $15/mo if the game is good and the potty-mouth rug-rats are scarce.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

SgtRock

The Elder Scrolls Online to Use Subscriptions

I wonder, is a paid subscription model even viable anymore, will it last? $180 per year seems like too much for any game, today.  The only game I played with a subscription for a few months was WOT early on, I felt sometimes like I had to play vs. wanting to play it because, I was paying for it and my subscription would run out at the end of the month. I like the GW 2, pay once and your in, with free weekend/demo events once in a while. I can give the game a rest and go back to it anytime.

What was the last successful MMO game with subscription only player base? It seems like, every one failed over the last few years and had to move to a free to play model.

Nefaro

Quote from: SgtRock on August 22, 2013, 09:44:20 AM

What was the last successful MMO game with subscription only player base? It seems like, every one failed over the last few years and had to move to a free to play model.

Many of them didn't fail, but they realized that they could both increase their income and increase their player base (thus populating their sometimes sparse virtual worlds once again) by going Free-To-Play.

One of the most notable MMOs still requiring a subscription is Eve Online.   Due to the extreme economy focus of that game, it would piss most of their play base off if they went to a free-to-play "cash shop" model, although there is already a way to convert money into game currency.

Greybriar

Quote from: Toonces on August 21, 2013, 09:08:13 PM
I would think that a $15 subscription fee would at least make a dent in thinning out the riffraff.

That is a good reason for me to prefer subscription-based MMOs over their Free-to-Play (Or should I say Pay-to-Win?) counterparts.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

SgtRock

Quote from: Greybriar on August 22, 2013, 06:47:23 PM
Quote from: Toonces on August 21, 2013, 09:08:13 PM

That is a good reason for me to prefer subscription-based MMOs over their Free-to-Play (Or should I say Pay-to-Win?) counterparts.

I don't like paying more than once, there is also games you buy, but have no monthly frees.

Toonces

Aces High 2 uses the $15 subscription model.

It's not that much money.  I've spent nearly that much at McDonald's for lunch out here. 
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Steelgrave

Yeah, I have zero problem with a modest pay per month fee. Helps to keep the ankle biters out, plus I'm really not a fan of micro-transactions.