Help me pick a wargame

Started by bayonetbrant, October 03, 2013, 01:12:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

GamersGate is having a Mac sale this weekend

I can probably afford to pick up something that's under $5-$6 or so, and that's a lot in this sale.

I am looking at this one
http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-BOA2M/birth-of-america-ii-wars-in-america-mac
but it's about $10 more than I was considering.

I'm am not a big fan of real-time gams, be they RTS or FPS, so those are probably off the table.  I've also got all the Civ V stuff I can handle right now, all the Civ IV stuff I want, and all the Civ III stuff they ever made.

what are y'all's suggestions?
should I just go back to playing Card Hunter all weekend? :)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

undercovergeek

we could all chip in and get you a proper a computer instead

bayonetbrant

hey - mine's keeping this place alive, so stop yer bitchin'  ;)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

LongBlade

I'm with Undercover. A PC would do just as well in keeping the front pages going.

That said, I see a number of fine games you should play.

In no particular order (and in addition to Birth of America):

Tropico 3
Europa Universalis 3
Defense Grid
Empire Total War - didn't get massively popular responses but you should know what the Total War series is about and that's a cheap way into the franchise.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Herman Hum

I would be a little bit concerned about their mathematics.

ScenShare scenarios: 1) Enjoy creating it, 2) Enjoy playing it, 3) Enjoy sharing it, 4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions

Steelgrave

Quote from: bayonetbrant on October 03, 2013, 01:24:08 PM
hey - mine's keeping this place alive, so stop yer bitchin'  ;)

Now that's a scary thought!

PanzersEast

Free Orion...... because it is easy just to say no....

http://www.freeorion.org

PE

Bismarck

Get Defense Grid. Everything about it is great: scenarios, animation, voice acting. It's the only tower game I play.
Jim Cobb

SgtRock

Wargames for the Mac, doesn't PETA have laws against that?

GDS_Starfury

everytime you play a wargame on a Mac theres a hipster that dies.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Staggerwing

^Then I call dibs on his leftover iMac or MBP.  :D
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Bison

Or you could get on Steam and get XCOM Enemy Unknown for like $10.

Nefaro

Birth of America 2 is a great wargame, and probably the easiest of the series to learn.

I didn't know it was Mac-compatible.  ???  I wonder if some third party ported it (that happened with PON IIRC) and whether the latest beta updates from the AGEOD forums are even compatible with it.

Bison

Ageod games to Mac are a third party port and do not have official support nor are they compatible with patches from Ageod.  I'd be hesitant about buying one honestly.  As good as Ageod games are, they take a number of patches to fix and improve game play. IMHO.