SCS Guadalajara 1937 WTF?

Started by MengJiao, November 03, 2013, 07:37:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MengJiao

I was wondering about this battle since I came across it while playing Espana 1936.  As you can see from the map attached, there's nothing wrong with
the Italian Plan; there are two week battalions covering many kilometers and the big road to the ESE runs straight to Guadalajara which is ESE of Madrid.
The Gray markers show the Italian front line.  So why not take 70 light tanks and some motorized (if somewhat irregular) infantry and just drive to Madrid?
Somehow this didn't work out well -- for one thing the Republicans had plenty of Russian T-26 tanks and around 100 SB-2 light bombers in Madrid.  So the resulting
battle was the best moment for the T-26 and the SB-2 and the International Brigades and Heminqway was there to tell about it all in immortal reportage.

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on November 03, 2013, 07:37:33 AM
   I was wondering about this battle since I came across it while playing Espana 1936.  As you can see from the map attached, there's nothing wrong with
the Italian Plan; there are two week battalions covering many kilometers and the big road to the ESE runs straight to Guadalajara which is ESE of Madrid.
The Gray markers show the Italian front line.  So why not take 70 light tanks and some motorized (if somewhat irregular) infantry and just drive to Madrid?
Somehow this didn't work out well -- for one thing the Republicans had plenty of Russian T-26 tanks and around 100 SB-2 light bombers in Madrid.  So the resulting
battle was the best moment for the T-26 and the SB-2 and the International Brigades and Heminqway was there to tell about it all in immortal reportage.

The Italians deploy.  The Republican battalion on the main highway will get vaporized and then the motoized column can zoom down the road.  What could go wrong?

bob48

Looks interesting - I would like to play some stuff from the SCW. There are a couple of tactical level games which MMP have now farmed out to Compass games in what used to be (I think) the 'War Thunder' series, but I don't think there is any release date as yet.

I notice that Compass also have a re-do of L2 Designs 'Bitter Woods' on the list as well.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

MengJiao

Quote from: bob48 on November 03, 2013, 02:13:42 PM
Looks interesting - I would like to play some stuff from the SCW. There are a couple of tactical level games which MMP have now farmed out to Compass games in what used to be (I think) the 'War Thunder' series, but I don't think there is any release date as yet.

I notice that Compass also have a re-do of L2 Designs 'Bitter Woods' on the list as well.

Guadalajara is supposed to be the most messed up of the MMP (Gamers) Simple Combat System (SCS).  Apparently it was a messy battle.  I just tried to breakthrough and assumed the defending Republican Battalion would be wiped out, but they rolled a 4 and nothing happened at 4:1.

So there they are on the road and the motorized column is going nowhere while the Republicans even get some airplanes interdicting and their troops are coming up fast:

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on November 03, 2013, 03:40:01 PM
Quote from: bob48 on November 03, 2013, 02:13:42 PM

Guadalajara is supposed to be the most messed up of the MMP (Gamers) Simple Combat System (SCS).  Apparently it was a messy battle.  I just tried to breakthrough and assumed the defending Republican Battalion would be wiped out, but they rolled a 4 and nothing happened at 4:1.

So there they are on the road and the motorized column is going nowhere while the Republicans even get some airplanes interdicting and their troops are coming up fast:

Turn3, just before Republican exploitation move.  Trucks are taking a German Bn of the International Bdes down south along with International Bde artillery and some regular Republican infantry.  T-26 are catching up with the Anarchists on the main highway.  A lot of Republican planes are out to interdict the roads.

The epic 3-day defense by one Republican Bn against the whole Italian offensive has got to end this turn.  If this had happened historically there would have been a Beatles Album or two about it and they would not have broken up ever.

Or maybe not.  You would think Bir Hakiem would have had the same Beatles Album effect, but it didn't.