Middle school bans hugging

Started by Martok, March 23, 2012, 10:05:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martok

No, I am not making this up. 

NJ Middle School Bans Hugging

School Superintendent David Healy says the district has the responsibility to teach children about appropriate interactions.

A New Jersey school superintendent says there's no policy against hugging in the district, and says the issue of middle schoolers being told by their principal not to hug each other anymore is being blown out of proportion.

The district says Matawan-Aberdeen Middle School Principal Tyler Blackmore made an announcement that its 900 students were in a "no hugging school" following some "incidents of unsuitable, physical interactions."

School Superintendent David Healy said the district has the responsibility to teach children about appropriate interactions. But he said no one would be disciplined for hugging.

"There is no policy specific to hugging, and we have not, nor will we be, suspending students for hugging," he said in a written statement. "It is unfortunate that there are those who find purpose and humor in sensationalizing such a routine school-related issue at the expense and inconvenience of our children and our school community."

The superintendent said he believes the principal acted responsibly in making the recent school announcement regarding hugging. The district's Board of Education does have policies in place to address bullying, inappropriate relationships and inappropriate conduct, he added.

Students range in ages from 11 to 14 in grades six to eight.

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Centurion40

When my step-daughter was in elementary school, they tried to ban hugging.  It lasted all of 1 month.
Any time is a good time for pie.

Jarhead0331

They ban hugging, but have sex ed and hand out condoms.  What kind of message does that send?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Centurion40

Theory, not practice.  Thank God it's not a vocational school.  Theory only gets vocational students no where!
Any time is a good time for pie.

son_of_montfort

Let's be fair - who wants to hug a person from New Jersey?  ;)
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Jarhead0331

Quote from: son_of_montfort on March 23, 2012, 01:23:18 PM
Let's be fair - who wants to hug a person from New Jersey?  ;)

I do.  My girlfriend is New Jersey born and bred.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Martok

Hey Monty, you want some ketchup to go with that foot you just shoved in your mouth?  :P 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Martok on March 23, 2012, 02:39:56 PM
Hey Monty, you want some ketchup to go with that foot you just shoved in your mouth?  :P

I stand by my original comment. The cordite from all the shells JH has fired has fried his sense of smell.

Also, he is dating Joe Piscopo, so take that into consideration. (Unfortunately I could not find the "I'm from Jersey" skit).

"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert