Company of Heroes 2: where does it stand today?

Started by sandman2575, March 27, 2014, 02:54:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Gusington

I am hoping the new Wargame: Red Dragon game will learn from CoH2 and offer a speed adjustment at some point.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

sandman2575

Quote from: Arctic Blast on March 30, 2014, 12:52:56 AM
Keep in mind that Relic and CoH 2 were one of the properties scooped up from the ashes of THQ about 80% of the way through development. I suspect maybe the game was being set up for the current model before SEGA made the buy, and they could either release it along the same lines or prepare to sink millions into re-developing the entire mess.

Good point.

I guess the thing that has taken me by surprise (and not in a good way) has been how aggressively COH2 pushes its DLC on the player.  I appreciate what Jarhead says about how devs are not obliged to allow mod content, and that it does cut into DLC revenue.  That's all fair and good -- the devs deserve to make money on a product they put enormous time and effort into.  Still, there was a great tradition of modding for the original COH, and it's disappointing to see the franchise put such a premium on DLC at the expense of modding.

I've played COH2 a fair bit this weekend, and I have to say, I've enjoyed it more than I expected.  It seems to be very stable now (not a single crash in several hours of play; in the past, I seldom got through any quick battle session without a CTD).  And I'll give Relic credit for this:  the AI is actually challenging.  It builds a decent variety of units (there is inevitable infantry spam, but it also churns out mortars, AT guns, MGs, and armor).  I'm able to handle the AI on "Easy" but on "Standard," I stand a good chance of losing. 

The thing that makes it least enjoyable is just how relentless it is.  The AI is constantly probing your lines and launching assaults.  That's good, of course, because it's challenging.  But there's almost no break in the action, and it gets wearying.

It's harder than the original COH, I think no question.  But the original is still a much, much better game.


sandman2575

Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on March 30, 2014, 02:11:46 PM
CoH 2 needs a Blitzkrieg Mod.

Very much this.  Original COH + Blitzkrieg (or Normandy 44) mod >> COH2