Gettysburg - My kind of game

Started by Grim.Reaper, July 06, 2014, 06:11:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Grim.Reaper

So as I have gotten back in the mood for American Civil War games with the recent releases of Ultimate General and Battleplan American Civil War, I remembered a small little game that came out a few years ago that really didn't receive much attention.  This game had the beginnings of exactly the type of Civil War game I had hoped would get made, but really never went far to the best of my knowledge.  The game was basically Command OPS Battle for the Bulge (COTA, HTTR, etc.) but for the Civil War.  The main focus was on strategy and giving high-level orders to your troops and the AI would worry about the micromanagement.  You got to be the commander without having to worry about all the details.

Even now it is an OK game for what it is, but of course it is not on par with the major budget games out there.  I also haven't played it enough to know how much replayability exists and whether the AI is great or not.  To be honest, even the dumbest AI gives my fits in games so I probably wouldn't notice anyways:)

This is the type of game I want to see fully fleshed out for the ACW.....let me be the overall commander and issue high level orders, while the units perform the tedious work.  I want to worry about the strategy, not every little thing like worrying about their facing, should they fire, pick out every target, etc.  The game is real-time, but has very good gamespeed controls where the largest increment is 1 second = 1 minute (many settings below).  This really lets you fight the battle at a realistic pace and to your own liking.

I know scourge of war and some of these other recent ACW titles give you this to some degree, but I like how this game presents the map at a very high-level and is more focused on the counters versus having to watch detailed battle scenes play out.  You pretty much have everything you need in one view.

The game only costs $4.99 and doesn't even have to be installed, just unzip the file and your ready to begin...I think the game was something like 6MB...

Again, it is not going to blow away everyone and maybe no one, but just represents the style of game I am hoping gets fully made and supported some day......now you all can make fun of me for bringing up this type of game:)

Link to Game Site
http://www.hendricom.com/


Anguille


Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Anguille on July 07, 2014, 02:24:03 AM
Nice...thanks for the link

No problem....just wish the developer would have kept with it to advance it.  Played it a bit more yesterday and I had some fun with it.  Think it had potential from a concept perspective.

Rayfer

I really enjoy the Command Ops games but had never considered the system being applicable to Civil War game. This is an intriguing idea that could just work if implemented properly.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Rayfer on July 07, 2014, 06:59:29 AM
I really enjoy the Command Ops games but had never considered the system being applicable to Civil War game. This is an intriguing idea that could just work if implemented properly.

What I like about it is the ability to remove the micromanagement and allow you to more focus on overall battlefield placement and strategy.  If a game has a good AI (like Command Ops) then I am fine in having my AI leaders handle the specific detail of their units, just like they would in real life.  I want to be able to identify my objectives and plan, then have the subordinates carry out those orders as I observe and make necessary adjustments along the way.  I do like the speed controls this game offers because you can pretty much get down to real time if you want it and not overly speed it up where its just a mass of units going crazy.

Maybe someday I will see a fully fleshed out game like this:)