Main Menu

WW1 Tactical Game?

Started by Father Ted, September 07, 2014, 12:35:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

TacticalWargames

Quote from: jomni on September 08, 2014, 07:38:04 PM
  Must be an era-specific tactic.

Certainly was..a huge amount of casualties on the first day of the Somme was down to this..

panzerde

Quote from: Skoop on September 08, 2014, 06:18:15 PM
^ I have to agree with that, he also designed the 2 ww1 panzer campaigns engine games, France 14 and Prussia.  He is also part of the dev team at esim for steel beasts and he's pretty active in their mp community.   

I think at this point I would buy just about anything Ed Williams is the designer on, just to get his designer's notes. I learned more about WWI warfare from reading his notes in France '14 and EP '14 than almost anything else I've read.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

TacticalWargames

SB WW1  suffers due to the engine limitations sadly. It's a problem I see often when developers use one engine for games covering totally different eras and wars. The games are usually best if it closely resembles the first games focus.

Another problem is the shear size of alot of the scenarios.. real monsters they are. I found a fair few battles not covered in the game and some would have been especially suited to a smaller scenario.

Saying all this though no one else has had the balls to do a WW1 tactical wargame and on the whole it just about succeeds.

jomni

Quote from: TacticalWargames on September 10, 2014, 08:55:27 PM
SB WW1  suffers due to the engine limitations sadly. It's a problem I see often when developers use one engine for games covering totally different eras and wars. The games are usually best if it closely resembles the first games focus.

Another problem is the shear size of alot of the scenarios.. real monsters they are. I found a fair few battles not covered in the game and some would have been especially suited to a smaller scenario.

Saying all this though no one else has had the balls to do a WW1 tactical wargame and on the whole it just about succeeds.

What limitation in particular?

Boggit

Quote from: panzerde on September 10, 2014, 08:21:45 PM
Quote from: Skoop on September 08, 2014, 06:18:15 PM
^ I have to agree with that, he also designed the 2 ww1 panzer campaigns engine games, France 14 and Prussia.  He is also part of the dev team at esim for steel beasts and he's pretty active in their mp community.   

I think at this point I would buy just about anything Ed Williams is the designer on, just to get his designer's notes. I learned more about WWI warfare from reading his notes in France '14 and EP '14 than almost anything else I've read.
Pretty much agree with you. The quality of his research, and his written expression of the same is outstanding. :coolsmiley:
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Al

Quote from: panzerde on September 10, 2014, 08:21:45 PM
Quote from: Skoop on September 08, 2014, 06:18:15 PM
^ I have to agree with that, he also designed the 2 ww1 panzer campaigns engine games, France 14 and Prussia.  He is also part of the dev team at esim for steel beasts and he's pretty active in their mp community.   

I think at this point I would buy just about anything Ed Williams is the designer on, just to get his designer's notes. I learned more about WWI warfare from reading his notes in France '14 and EP '14 than almost anything else I've read.

+1
Al