Main Menu

FFS OOTP!!

Started by JudgeDredd, September 28, 2014, 05:16:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

JudgeDredd

So I got an email from OOTP saying there was an update available. I click on the link, download and run the update - except when it completes and I run it, it re-builds the database etc, etc. Then when I'm presented with the start page, I have the option to buy or enter a key...so I think "Don't tell me this has just over-written my previous install"...so I fired up my original game and sure with relief there is my saved game...and I noticed that I had bought mine through Steam.

So - I uninstalled the new game, and I ticked the box (after thinking about it) to delete all the folders it just created - only to find it hadn't performed a completely new install....only the exe folder was different install location - it seems it shared my data folders...even though my installed version was Steam.

I did think hard about leaving/deleting the folders and I made an incorrect assumption that as the install folder was different, so to would the data folders...especially as "Continue Game" wasn't an option when I started the new exe up.

So now I've lost all my progress.

1. Why didn't it create all new data folders if it was creating an all new install folder (once I realised the exe installed in a different install folder, I actually assumed it would have overwritten my original data folders)
2. Why didn't the newly installed version recognise there was an ongoing career in the data folders and let me know about that (so I'm thinking it created new data folders)

FFS!  :'(
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

bbmike

If you installed it with Steam you were supposed to wait for it to auto-update and not download the patch. If that wasn't it then I don't really know. I've never seen OOTP overwrite the data in the Documents folder that holds you saves.
I hope you find your saves! That would suck if not. :(
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

JudgeDredd

I forgot I got mine off Steam. If I had remembered, I wouldn't have downloaded the "patch" knowing that steam auto updates.

So when I got the newsletter, I just went to get the patch. As is their way, it's not a patch but a fresh install...which I also forgot.

Unfortunately it seems both versions whilst installed in different locations they use the same data folders. The newly installed one didn't overwrite my games...so when I uninstalled it, because it had made a fresh install but didn't overwrite my data folders, I incorrectly assumed it had created new data folders and Steam had it's own data folder setup (remember - I opened my Steam version AFTER installing the new one and saw my save was there - this made me think the new version had a different set of data folders)

So by ticking the "get rid of the saved games and data folders", that's exactly what it did. But I was of the mind that the new system had new folders because the new install didn't show resume game and the Steam installed one DID show resume game.

So I have indeed lost my season that I was slogging through and the several draft runs too  :'(
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

bbmike

Ouch! I think you've just inspired me to start backing up my stuff to a dedicated usb drive.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

JudgeDredd

oooohhhh...I might have a backup!

Thanks man!  O0
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

JudgeDredd

Well, I do have a backup. I have no idea how old it is in "game play" terms...but it's from 20th July which might well be the last time I picked it up.

When I went to load it though, OOTP told me it was "40 game days" out. I have no idea what that really means...but I had a backup anyway.

I'll see if there's any messages relating to the draft (anyone know when the first draft occurs?)...because I had long passed the first draft.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

JudgeDredd

Quote from: bbmike on September 28, 2014, 08:08:59 AM
Ouch! I think you've just inspired me to start backing up my stuff to a dedicated usb drive.
Thanks for the head bang  ;D
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Bison

It depends on which draft honestly.  There are a couple throughout the season.

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

JudgeDredd

It doesn't matter really. I seem to have only the one file. Better that than nothing and I have 42 wins and 42 losses - so 84 games in is a fair way.

I do see a message that says "Los Angeles Angels failed to sign 26th round Draft pick Cesar Martinez"

So I think this is my baby

Thanks again bbmike!  O0
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

bbmike

Glad you had a backup! And thanks to you I have one too now! :)
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Nefaro

As with many games these days, the user-specific files such as save games go into the same folder in My Docs.  Even if you have two different installer versions on your machine, they still check the exact same folder.  :smiley6600:

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Nefaro on September 28, 2014, 06:22:29 PM
As with many games these days, the user-specific files such as save games go into the same folder in My Docs.  Even if you have two different installer versions on your machine, they still check the exact same folder.  :smiley6600:
I did think that Nefaro. But when I fired the new install up, it just showed New Game...no resume game. I then checked my other install, panicking thinking the new install had overwritten my original install. When I checked my original install, it showed "Continue Game"...this set of circumstances (new install in different location and new install NOT showing new game but old install WAS showing continue game) made me think the new install had used different data folders...hence why I deliberated over ticking the box or not but in the end thought it was safe to do so.

The only really daft thing I did was forget that I had purchased from Steam...hence no need to go to OOTP and download a patch...the rest was just plain not obvious.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Nefaro

Quote from: JudgeDredd on September 29, 2014, 12:15:28 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on September 28, 2014, 06:22:29 PM
As with many games these days, the user-specific files such as save games go into the same folder in My Docs.  Even if you have two different installer versions on your machine, they still check the exact same folder.  :smiley6600:
I did think that Nefaro. But when I fired the new install up, it just showed New Game...no resume game. I then checked my other install, panicking thinking the new install had overwritten my original install. When I checked my original install, it showed "Continue Game"...this set of circumstances (new install in different location and new install NOT showing new game but old install WAS showing continue game) made me think the new install had used different data folders...hence why I deliberated over ticking the box or not but in the end thought it was safe to do so.

The only really daft thing I did was forget that I had purchased from Steam...hence no need to go to OOTP and download a patch...the rest was just plain not obvious.


Ohhh!  I remember what the deal was with OOTP!

If you install to a location other than the default, in their own non-Steam installer, then the user files & mods will be in the install folder.   Not the default Docs one.   :buck2:

I recall this being the case when I had issues getting a Logo mod to work and finding out that it was due to my changing the install location.  The Steam version must put it there or in a different spot.