Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel Resigning

Started by BanzaiCat, November 24, 2014, 09:40:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

Hagel Said to Be Stepping Down as Defense Chief Under Pressure

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/25/us/hagel-said-to-be-stepping-down-as-defense-chief-under-pressure.html?_r=0

QuoteWASHINGTON — Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel is stepping down under pressure, the first cabinet-level casualty of the collapse of President Obama's Democratic majority in the Senate and the struggles of his national security team amid an onslaught of global crises.

But now "the next couple of years will demand a different kind of focus," one administration official said, speaking on the condition of anonymity. He insisted that Mr. Hagel was not fired, saying that he initiated discussions about his future two weeks ago with the president, and that the two men mutually agreed that it was time for him to leave.

Even before the announcement of Mr. Hagel's removal, Obama officials were speculating on his possible replacement. At the top of the list are Michèle Flournoy, the former under secretary of defense; Senator Jack Reed, Democrat of Rhode Island and a former officer with the Army's 82nd Airborne; and Ashton B. Carter, a former deputy secretary of defense.

I'm sure it's complete coincidence that all three are Democrats.  ::)

Mr. Bigglesworth

I remember Hagel often speaking well on the Sunday morning news shows. This about him being rudderless is BS. I think he cannot speak his mind, that has a very different outlook from the Admin.

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

LongBlade

Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on November 24, 2014, 04:06:28 PM
I remember Hagel often speaking well on the Sunday morning news shows. This about him being rudderless is BS. I think he cannot speak his mind, that has a very different outlook from the Admin.

From the talking heads on TV earlier today, they said he initially shared Obama's view of the world. But as new threats emerged he changed his view. Obama did not.

Plus he is the only Republican in an otherwise Democratic administration.

Ultimately the Secretary of Defense works for the president. Hagel would not be running things contrary to how Obama wanted them.

There does seem to have been a whisper campaign against Hagel over the last couple of weeks. Don't expect the departure to be amicable.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Mr. Bigglesworth

Hagel seems a good man that does not deserve to be thrown under the petty politics bus. If he is more hawk than for soft power, there is probably good reason.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Martok

Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on November 24, 2014, 04:42:43 PM
Hagel seems a good man that does not deserve to be thrown under the petty politics bus. If he is more hawk than for soft power, there is probably good reason.
More or less my thoughts as well. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces