Recommended Video Card Upgrade for a Three Year Old Rig

Started by Gusington, December 14, 2014, 07:10:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

endfire79

Good luck Gus, hope it works out.  I personally wait a long time before updating a total rig (to benefit from deals or price cuts).  Just don't have as much spare time anymore at the moment.

My rig is from 2009/2010 tech, but my main bottleneck was the hard drive for read/writes (getting an SSD soon) and the RAM (the mobo can only take 8 GB max). I recently updated the RAM to 8 from 4GB, and that worked enough for me (although right now I'm not using high end vehicle simulation at home, otherwise I'd get a new motherboard and go the 12GB+ RAM  route).

The PSU has enough juice for what I need to throw at it at 750W

My MSI GTX460 (middle of road card is the way I go) is holding up nicely, and I would personally not spend more than $190 on my next future GPU update (I'm a cheapo).  I might change my mind if I ever start gaming on a 42" screen though.
"I will return before you can say 'antidisestablishmentarianism'."

"A man may fight for many things. His country, his principles, his friends. The glistening tear on the cheek of a golden child. But personally, I'd mud-wrestle my own mother for a ton of cash, an amusing clock and a sack of French porn."

Gusington

Yeah I agree...the card mentioned above at 369.00 US is too high for me.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


Shelldrake

My GTX 560 Ti/AMD X4 955 combo is still soldiering on. Sooner or later I will upgrade but for now it meets my strategy gaming needs and even manages some eye candy with shooters and flight sims.   :)
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

endfire79

I went the budget route and decided to update my MSI GTX 460 with a PNY GTX 750 TI (I tend to aim for the budget cards, ).  The PNY doesn't require another 6 pin power connection from the mainboard, it takes the power straight from the PCI-E slot.  The noise rating is also quite low from what I've read.  I'll let you know how it fares once it's delivered.
"I will return before you can say 'antidisestablishmentarianism'."

"A man may fight for many things. His country, his principles, his friends. The glistening tear on the cheek of a golden child. But personally, I'd mud-wrestle my own mother for a ton of cash, an amusing clock and a sack of French porn."