Nightside (Linux, Windows)

Started by Huw the Poo, April 15, 2015, 04:42:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Huw the Poo

Nightside is a modern take on the Command & Conquer formula, still in early access but very playable right now.

The USP of this particular game is that there's no fog of war as such; as the name suggests, the whole battlefield is perpetually shrouded in darkness and your only sources of light are (largely) your own units and buildings.  The resemblance to C&C is very strong - you build a rudimentary base consisting purely of buildings that allow you to wage war more effectively.  A building is either researching new units or building those units (or collecting finite resources from ore nodes).  It's very familiar: get some resource collection going, research some decent units, build them, and go forth to kick arse.

For me, it's too fast and very much a clickfest.  It's a rush-orientated game.  You build your units in the quickest and most efficient manner possible, and go kill the enemy before he does it to you.  It's pretty good at what it does but I regret buying it because I can't see myself playing it much, although I may occasionally dip in if I just want a brief distraction.  It's way too fast-paced for me and the focus is laser-like on whacking the enemy before he whacks you.

It's attractive enough with a very distinct sci-fi theme, and the music is suitably exciting if pretty repetitive.  The UI is functional and elements auto-hide until needed.  Included at this stage is vs AI and presumably multiplayer, but no campaign yet - although one is planned.

I broke two personal rules when I bought this game: 1, don't buy early access games.  2, don't buy games without researching thoroughly exactly what they are.  I broke both and I've paid for my mistake.  However fans of C&C and similar games will get a good amount of distraction from Nightside, especially at the current asking price of £7.

Jarhead0331

Thanks for the write-up, Huw...I was mildly curious about this one when I saw it pop up on steam.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18