Mount and Blade Napoleonic DLC

Started by Bison, April 03, 2012, 01:22:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toonces

Are you sure on that?  You might want to try searching again. I only have 4 servers bookmarked, 2 Napoleon servers and 2 cRPG servers, one battle and one siege each.  I was on last night (cRPG) and the Nappy server had a lot of people on.  I can't remember the exact name but it's the Napoleon "official" server; I use the NA servers since they have the best ping here in Hawaii.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Toonces

You're in Alaska, right?  Maybe the time difference there is such that you're coming online when a lot of the crowd has gone to bed.  I definitely see fuller servers on a Saturday afternoon Hawaii time than I do at 10pm Tuesday night.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Bison

I'm sure that the time of day has a lot to do with it Toonces.  I need to attempt to get on around 7-10 PM EST on a Friday or Saturday night.

Nefaro

Quote from: Bison on May 01, 2012, 11:02:54 PM
I don't like the respawn in battle mode.  I usually die within 30 seconds of the battle starting, which means I get to watch for the next 9 1/2 minutes.

Play any of the other modes, and you respawn by default.   I don't suggest Team Deathmatch because the spawns are messed up and ppl end up spawning in some of the same areas with enemy soldiers, so spawn kills can happen regularly (even though you just respawn a few seconds later).  The good thing about this mode is that it gets you into the action very quickly after respawn, so if you're just looking to get a lot of practice in with your bayonet or cav (for example), then this will give them a time-concentrated workout.

Conquest is a good one for steady action because it usually has around five different locations, on a big map, with flags to be cap'd by one side or another.  You get to choose which one you respawn at.  There is often one or two flags being heatedly battled over, and some ninja attempts at others.

Capture the Flag is pretty straightforward - one flag each, capture the other guy's.  Note that the big maps will take some time running to the other guy's area, across the whole map, on foot.

Siege is a nice change where one side is advantaged, but has limited total respawns (I think five per person for defender is default).  You can get some steady artillery work in on either side, usually without having to worry about cav or flanking infantry constantly assaulting you as in other modes.   Assaulting the gate, or via laying a ladder against a wall can be fun if your team can concentrate enough to breach.  Speaking of breaches.. artillery can blow holes in those walls, and it's the ideal way of attack because once a wall has been knocked in, there's a wide avenue for a mob of infantry to charge up.   This mode is fun because the pace is slower than ones like Team Deathmatch, and it still has infinite respawns (for attacker).  If you're a defender and repeatedly die so much that your lives are used up, it could be a very long wait until the end of the match.  I usually have lives left when the match ends, however, because I'm not into suicide charges unless my position has become hopeless.

Bison

I played on the siege server last evening.  I think wasn't seeing it because I'd limited my servers to <150 ping.  It was coming in at around 215 or so.  Anyway, it was a good time.  Like a Nappy visits the Alamo type setup. 

Nefaro

The one with the custom maps is excellent.  Those two custom siege maps (on 42e server IIRC?) are much better than most of the stock ones.  However, their server is obviously hosted in Europe as I always get ~160ms ping to it, as opposed to my 50 to 75 for NA ones.  However, I don't notice a lot of warping unless their server is near capacity, and it's limit is set at 200 people also.   

They also use the stock siege map that has the big huge wall and city on the inside, but it looks like the pat where you have to get in boats and cross the river, before even running to the walls (as attacker) had been cut out and replaced with land & spawn.  So people aren't confused as to how to even pilot a boat across water, and it takes a bit less time for the attacker to get back at it.  A good change, IMO.

Those custom siege maps can get pretty intense when the hordes are breaching the walls.   

jomni

Can't seem to kill anyone during seiges :(.

Question about Engineers.  Can they destroy walls?  I've tried piling up earth to make it accessible by other infantry.  I saw an explosive crate but it seems to be not buildable (lacks build points).  Wish I could also build ladders as planks don't work.

Nefaro

Yes, you can plant explosive crates and blow the snot out of stuff - just be very careful not to do it around friendlies as you'll get kicked for team-killing if it goes up with a few.

The "build points" are set on the server.  I see mods jump in and adjust them on the fly sometimes.  It's a communal hard build limit for the sappers in each match;  once someone has used all the build points, then you're SOL until next match.  :-\

Occasionally some d*ckhead will join as a sapper and starting building the tower of pisa up into the sky, back in your spawn.  So the build point limits are partially to persuade these jerkfaces to go back to playing Minecraft instead of wasting a player slot on a Napoleonic server.