Anyone play Batman series, getting Batman: Arkham Knight?

Started by Grim.Reaper, May 30, 2015, 06:10:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Grim.Reaper

It looks like the next version Batman: Arkham Knight comes out June 23rd...seems to not be much hype for this version, plus some early decent discounts.  I really never played the past versions much, can't even recall why.....just curious, anyone planning to pick up and are they generally worth a complete play through?  Noticed GMG has pretty decent pre-order offer already, 40% off (with key BATMAN-ARKHAM-SAVE40).

Premium Version (game+season pass), regular price $89, on sale for $53.99 (basically you can get the season pass for free and base game a few buck cheaper than original price)

Normal Version, regular price $59.99, on sale for $36

I have even seen it for roughly $21 through some of those cd key sites.....just always worries me when there are these kind of price drops before the game even releases:)  But nonetheless, this version somewhat interests me since you get to drive the Batmobile in this version.

Thoughts?

Jarhead0331

Is the pope catholic? Yeah, I'll be getting this. The other games in the series are awesome. Probably the best games based on a superhero IP ever made.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


JasonPratt

Not only getting, but I paid full price (minus 10%) for both it and the season pass.

People diss Arkham Origins, and I kind of understand why, but to me even that was a great game. I've beaten all three main games so far at least twice, some of them four times. Even the sidescrolling 2.5D platforming mobile/console game, Blackgate, was good, and I hate those games. (And I hated the cutscene art which made everyone look as terrible as possible while still not being realistic at all. The only game I haven't played through more than once.)

I'm trying to finish up Far Cry 3 just so it'll be "out of the way" when ArkKnight gets here.

What does worry me is that the PC version will be buggy and not ever quite fixed. I don't have a next-gen console, and it won't run on PS3 (unlike the other three games). Maybe there'll be a port later, but I'd rather not pay full price for the PC version and then be stuck paying essentially full price again (console games never have good sales) for a version that works. On a prev-gen system.

Right now, naturally, you can usually pick up Origins, Asylum, and City, for extra-cheap on PC. The only reason I don't recommend Origins is that its very annoying bugs were (reportedly) never quite stomped; my PS3 version never gave me any problems.

That being said, if they didn't grab you enough to play previous versions much, GR, I can't imagine this version would be any better for you. If you didn't love playing through a darker alternate version of the Timm/Dini DC Animated Universe Batman property (with most of the vocal actors returning in roles large and small), you'd be better off spending your money elsewhere. (Or digging out the old games to give them a try. Though I don't recommend starting with City, as the other games ease you into gameplay better, Asylum moreso than Origins.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: JasonPratt on May 30, 2015, 07:26:49 AM

That being said, if they didn't grab you enough to play previous versions much, GR, I can't imagine this version would be any better for you. If you didn't love playing through a darker alternate version of the Timm/Dini DC Animated Universe Batman property (with most of the vocal actors returning in roles large and small), you'd be better off spending your money elsewhere. (Or digging out the old games to give them a try. Though I don't recommend starting with City, as the other games ease you into gameplay better, Asylum moreso than Origins.)

I'll be honest, I can't quite recall why the earlier versions did not grab my attention....although I actually think I had major problems installing the first one and took me forever (it was like weeks) to get working....think by the time I did, just lost interest....I may in the meantime look for a cheap version of Origins and give it a spin.

JasonPratt

Origins is somewhat tougher than Asylum (because despite being a prequel you have more things to use and do), but there's a great 2-1/2 hour animated movie that the gameplay is, in effect, built around. I really wouldn't try playing it on PC, though, even if it's the cheapest game: I hear it still has a bunch of annoying bugs. Not fatal ones, but...
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

TacticalWargames

Not sure about having Tanks in it.

I always enjoyed the combat mechanics as you don't need to be a skilled Street Fighter style button masher. However I never finished the first game as I grew bored and prob played less of the next two. It was the Scarecrow parts I really, really hated. So the last game released when he turned up and stopped playing and never went back to it.

Arctic Blast

I jumped on the GMG preorder deal and am now waiting somewhat patiently...

Grim.Reaper

Just curious, which version are people most buying.....standard or the premiere version (with season pass)?

Arctic Blast

I went standard. I haven't ever purchased any of the DLC for previous Batman titles.

Grim.Reaper

By the way, I believe someone else mentioned the www.cdkeys.com web site in another thread....they actually have the game pretty darn cheap, if your willing to use those sites.  Never used them myself before so can't comment on them.  Very tempted to go for it...

www.cdkeys.com

Standard = $22
Premium (w/season pass) = $35


Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Arctic Blast on May 30, 2015, 09:38:15 PM
I went standard. I haven't ever purchased any of the DLC for previous Batman titles.

I was leaning the same...typically never end up finishing a game, alone playing all the extra content that comes with DLC...but some of the season pass seemed somewhat interesting.

Batgirl: A Matter of Family

An all new prequel story expansion in an entirely new location where you play as Batgirl for the very first time in the Arkham series - check out the first render of Batgirl.

The Season of Infamy

Play as Batman in all new story missions featuring legendary super-villains invading Gotham City, with new story arcs, missions and gameplay features.

Gotham City Stories

Play as Batman's key allies in narrative missions extending their storylines, from both before and after the events in Batman: Arkham Knight.

Legendary Batmobiles with Themed Tracks

Drive the most iconic Batmobiles from Batman's 75-year history, on custom-built race tracks, each themed to that Batmobile's specific era. Every Batmobile will be drivable across every race track.

Crimefighter Challenge Maps

Engage in a series of new challenge maps utilizing the unique play styles of Batman and his allies.

Character Skins

A variety of skins from across the eras for Batman, Robin, Nightwing and Catwoman. As we fully ramp up development on the Season Pass, we will be sharing even more details on each monthly content drop. We hope you enjoy playing Batman: Arkham Knight as much as we've enjoyed making it."

JasonPratt

I didn't get previous season passes (they weren't even available since at the time I was getting PS3 versions of the games, and I'm not sure the original Asylum game even ever had any DLC); but I did pick up selected DLCs for City and Origins, especially the Catwoman missions (for City -- decent but didn't synch well with the story overall); alternate Batman and Catwoman skins (mostly for City, some alternate Batskins for Origins, but they can't be played in the original playthrough); the Wayne training prequel (for Origins, kind of a waste really, had been hoping for something more like a proper prequel campaign); and (for Origins) Cold, Cold Heart (the Freeze origin story, based heavily on the Timm/Dini classic Freeze revamp origin story "Heart of Ice" -- a proper epilogue campaign).

However, the DLC for Knight, as listed above, looked interesting enough that I took the Season Pass option this time.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JudgeDredd

Discount code didn't work for me - presumably because of region.

I was thinking about getting it but I actually blew £50 on The Witcher 3 - so I'm going to hold off. On top of that I have Batman:Arkham Asylum, Batman:Arkham City and Batman:Arkam Origins.

Asylum was the only one I played to any degree. I never finished it - I couldn't beat the end so gave up.

Arkham City GOTY - I think I got stuck on that as well and dropped the game

Arkham Origins - I've literally picked up for £4.

I think I'll wait for a sale. I have plenty of Batman to get through so I'm in no rush. Besides, The Witcher 3 made me a little poorer this month  :'(
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people