New game itch - tell me it's not just me

Started by undercovergeek, May 21, 2015, 08:39:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jomni

Modding has been keeping me away from actual gaming.

MikeGER

Quote from: Pete Dero on May 27, 2015, 10:47:45 AM
Quote : While it appears that The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is happy to take your GPU and molester every last pixel out of it, it's content with letting your CPU sit back and watch in comfort.

THX Pete  :)   
...my dino CPU is not even on that list anymore  ;) 
...its a Core2Duo but OCed to 3Ghz,  i wait for a sale on Witcher3 anyway and have add it to my wishlist, so Steam will nag me when its on sale ...mayab i have a better rig then also

MikeGER

....kick me, i gave in :-[  ;)  O0

viewing "Let's play" didn't helped this time around.  it intensified the urge instead after i had checked on the net that it stills looks stunning in lower settings (including YT vids) and at least my GTX 570 is okish for the task  ...and i made the error to look into 145 page (sorry German language) review/guide/explanations -pdf ,  a game mag's special edition

 

Martok

^  This is why I watch Let's Play vids only sparingly.  :P 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

FarAway Sooner

I feel like this thread had the opportunity to start out as a support group: "My name is Undercovergeek, and I have a problem..."  It then turned into, "Dude, here, have a drink, this stuff is really good...  It's not an addiction, it's a privilege.  Think about all those poor human beings who lived before alcohol existed!"

For myself, with a tough job these days, a busy wife, and two small kids, I don't manage more than 5-10 hours / week playing games of any sort.  I've been faithfully playing Xenonauts for the last 6 weeks and having a good time.  I still have 2 or 3 titles left on my machine from Christmas and all those damn Holiday sales that I haven't been able to get around to, but I doubt any of those will have the staying power of Xenonauts.

I'm actually in the opposite camp.  I buy games with really highly rated reviews and rapturous commentary from the folks here, play it for 30 minutes or an hour, get this sinking, "Meh, been there / done that" feeling, and move on.  I'm not sure why.  But that recurring sense of Buyer's Remorse has me hesitant to buy many more games at all.

I feel like I'm turning into that old fart at the gaming store in my 80s who used to bitch about how Dungeons & Dragons was ruining the unrealized potential of the perfectly good combat system that was emerging from the Chain Mail rules...


MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on May 21, 2015, 11:11:18 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on May 21, 2015, 08:39:24 AM
I'm playing CMANO and enjoying it very much

I've downloaded and started XCOM the long war and enjoying it

I'm playing CMBS and having a blast

But every time I start them there's a voice saying 'buuuuuuuuy a neeeeeeew gammmmmmme' and I wonder aimlessly onto the steam shopfront

Last week it was helicopter sims and I thought I'd got away with it, this week it's Dcs world - each an every time I play a game I see the lovely blue of a su27

Help me

  Interesting.  One way I stop myself from buying games all the time is to look at how many cool games I am not playing.  For example, I just reinstalled RoF......yep, I've reached the point that if I just reinstalled things I would have a continual supply of new games.

   I also just got the Afghanistan map for ARMAIII -- so I guess the moral there is delving deeper into either the uninstalled or the mods or games you haven't worked on much (in my case DCS and Shadow of Mordor and Invisible and Attila for starters) is a way to both get more out of the games you have and avoid getting more -- on the principle that some games (possibly the ones you have) are more worth playing than others.

  Right!  But this is why I like bidding on strange board games on ebay -- I don't bid much and if I get the game it is purely by accident.  It is hard to buy games by accident on Steam, but I even have a solution for that -- if a game comes up at 50% off (like Shadow of Mordor did) then I count that as an accidental purchase.  And, hey, I even played Shadow of Mordor for over 10 hours!  That's only 2.50 an hour!  You can't pay your kid to do the dishes for that!

Barthheart


DennisS

I have decided that the best way to scratch the new game itch is YouTube. There are currently 15 games on my Steam wishlist..and I could probably place another 20.

Battle Brothers is one, currently. Looks pretty good. Turn based strategy, decent graphics, a bit of an RPG with soldier upgrades, and a decent inventory setup, weapons and armor.

...but instead of throwing $20 at it, I have found a YouTube series with 50 videos. I have watched the first ten or so, each about a half hour in length. The entire video series is at LEAST 25 hours...or about the length of the entire game. Hell..it IS the length of the game.

By the time I watch this entire game, I will have true knowledge and understanding on whether this will be a purchase for me...in addition to spending a full week of quality time watching fun videos, with an entertaining host.

Good news for this game, specifically, is that each game is generated on the fly, with different terrain, cities, and missions, and available mercenaries. Replay appears to be good.

Quill18, TotalBiscuit, and others have video series that will help me to make an educated decision on how to best spend my gaming dollars. They may not convince me to buy a game, but often they will absolutely provide me with insights needed to avoid buying a BAD game.