Modified Wings of War (Wings of Glory) WWI planes

Started by Barthheart, July 16, 2015, 06:44:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Barthheart

Here's some photos of my mods... rare earth magnet donuts and steel ball bearings.





These two are from WoG WWII set but I just had to buy them at Origins 'cause they're beautiful models.  :smitten:



Capn Darwin

Nice mods to the planes and props on that fine-ass coffee mug in the background!  O0
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

Bison


Jamm

When the going gets weird
the weird turn pro

Nefaro

Nice.

I've been wanting to create a similar rotating joint set-up for my CY6 Jet Age minis before mounting & painting them. 

Was just gonna use matching pairs of rare earth magnets, one for the top of the CY6 base mounts and one super-glued under each jet mini, but those pairs of magnets may prove stronger than the Gorilla glue over time, if not immediately. 

The minis aren't large enough to put the little flat magnets inside the bottom of the fuselage, so not sure how stable I could get them sitting on a steel bearing.  Any tips?

Barthheart

The magnet/bearing combo is quite stable. I tried the bearing on the stand first but it was not as stable as having the bearing on the planes. I used a pin drill to make a small indentation on the bottom of the plane. This helped anchor the bearing to the plane with Krazy Glue.

My plane is to do similar mountings for my Thunderbolt/Apache Leader minis which are probably the same scale as yer CY6 minis.

Double Deuce

Quote from: Barthheart on July 16, 2015, 06:44:20 PM
Here's some photos of my mods... rare earth magnet donuts and steel ball bearings.

What size magnet donuts are those?

Barthheart

Quote from: Double Deuce on July 17, 2015, 08:02:42 AM
Quote from: Barthheart on July 16, 2015, 06:44:20 PM
Here's some photos of my mods... rare earth magnet donuts and steel ball bearings.

What size magnet donuts are those?

I believe they're 3/16" diameter, 3/16" tall with a 1/8" hole. I can check again tonight.


TacticalWargames

Always wish they had made Squadron\Jasta versions of the planes. SO you could have say all Jasta 18 Alb DVa's in the correct plane colours for example. Or at least foru of each squadron\jasta so you had a small flight. Pref go for the time when they have the best or well known Aces in it. So you'd have say four SE5a's from 56 Squadron with all four being Aces that flew together. I'd buy into it.

Barthheart

Quote from: Barthheart on July 17, 2015, 08:09:54 AM
Quote from: Double Deuce on July 17, 2015, 08:02:42 AM
Quote from: Barthheart on July 16, 2015, 06:44:20 PM
Here's some photos of my mods... rare earth magnet donuts and steel ball bearings.

What size magnet donuts are those?

I believe they're 3/16" diameter, 3/16" tall with a 1/8" hole. I can check again tonight.

They actually have a 1/16" hole and I used a 1/8" ball bearing.
I've bought 1/8" diameter, 1/16" tall with 1/16" hole for my TAL minis.

Silent Disapproval Robot


Barthheart

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on July 18, 2015, 01:27:33 PM
Any issues finding the balance point?

Some, but most had the balance point right where the onriginal pin was. I removed that and then balanced the model on a pen to see where to put the bearing.
Oh and I didn't us Kracy Glue either it was aLePages Super glue I found recommended on the web. I'll try to post the name later.