Rover and Curiousity have terrible hygiene

Started by besilarius, October 01, 2015, 06:28:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

besilarius

"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

LongBlade

Weird. You would think they could shrink wrap it or something to hermetically seal it until it arrives at destination.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Sir Slash

Build a Robo-Carwash to clean the space probes.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Staggerwing

Quote from: LongBlade on October 01, 2015, 09:43:20 AM
Weird. You would think they could shrink wrap it or something to hermetically seal it until it arrives at destination.

Then all you would do is lock in the very earth bugs which the labcoats fear will contaminate the Martian hydrosystem. Since the fragile systems of the rovers cannot be sterilized after completion you would have to set up a complete sealed sterile factory where every rover component is made from base stock such as iron ore, silicon, and the petrochemical base for many of the plastics. Raw materials go in one microwave/airlock and completed rovers come out the other, sealed for freshness.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

LongBlade

Quote from: Staggerwing on October 01, 2015, 07:01:26 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on October 01, 2015, 09:43:20 AM
Weird. You would think they could shrink wrap it or something to hermetically seal it until it arrives at destination.

Then all you would do is lock in the very earth bugs which the labcoats fear will contaminate the Martian hydrosystem. Since the fragile systems of the rovers cannot be sterilized after completion you would have to set up a complete sealed sterile factory where every rover component is made from base stock such as iron ore, silicon, and the petrochemical base for many of the plastics. Raw materials go in one microwave/airlock and completed rovers come out the other, sealed for freshness.

For some reason I thought everything we sent over there was germ free. I guess not, though you'd think they'd sent sterile stuff over for exactly the same reason - just in case. I would argue that we've already "polluted" Mars.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Staggerwing

We are after all the very same species that went from the village kitchen midden to Mount Trashmore and the Great Pacific Trash Vortex in the blink of a geologic eye. Soon enough Mars will know us all too well.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bbmike

The part I never knew: "every country on Earth is bound by the stipulations of the 1967 Outer Space Treaty, which forbids "anyone from sending a mission, robot or human, close to a water source in the fear of contaminating it with life from Earth".

Then how the heck do we study it for life and other things?  ???
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Sir Slash

Somebody better tell Matt Damon that real quick.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.