Performance on Unused Systems

Started by Jarhead0331, January 31, 2016, 11:49:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Is there any reason why a system that does not get a lot of use, or that is used infrequently,  would run poorly when in use? My older system that I just replaced is still a top-notch rig. I use it maybe a few times a month now, but I'm finding that it runs very poorly when I turn it on lately. The games still run well, but in terms of booting up and then a lot of waiting while on the desktop as programs are loading, etc.  The system just seems to be struggling.

Thoughts?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

MikeGER

I guess some drivers, tools, and the OS itself are all looking for updates, download them, and install them in the background
also the anti virus software might uodate its database and does a system  scan without poping a window

mirth

My first guess is that you have a lot of processes starting on boot that don't necessarily need to. Everything these days wants to be on all the time in the background even if you don't need it to be. It's a constant struggle to find and disable all the things that want to run at startup.

Start by checking the Task Manager (assuming this is a Windows machine) and look all the processes. Chances are there are a bunch you don't really need to be running. For example, checking mine now shows GoogleUpdate.exe and iPodService.exe running despite my stopping and disabling both at start numerous times in the past. Neither is consuming much in the way of resources, but the frakkers shouldn't be running at all  >:(

Anyway, it's easy to have a lot of unnecessary processes running in the background because almost everything wants to be running "just in case".
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 31, 2016, 11:58:03 AM
passive aggressive jealousy?

Is this one of those lady computers like they have on Star Trek?
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Greybriar

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 31, 2016, 11:49:31 AM
Is there any reason why a system that does not get a lot of use, or that is used infrequently,  would run poorly when in use?....

I still boot up my Windows 95, Windows 98, and Windows XP desktop PCs from time to time (like maybe once or twice a year) and all of them run just fine. None of them is connected to the internet, so there is nothing being updated.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.