Pointe du Hoc, Normandy

Started by steve58, April 05, 2016, 01:56:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Hancock

My wife and I had the wonderful opportunity to visit Normandy memorials and walk the defenses a few years back.  It is not only a "must do" if you are anywhere near that area, but it was an unexpectedly more emotional visit than I anticipated.  The immaculate grounds, understated memorials, the row upon row of standard white crosses and, most impressive of all, the respect exhibited by visitors of all nationalities.  (At one point a Brazilian couple apologized for their young son making noise as we stood at one of the memorials).   We had made instant friends with a couple from Australia who were with us until we stopped to look out over Omaha beach.  As we looked out over the beaches and imagined what that horrific day must have been like for those young soldiers, the Aussies suddenly said, "Your country should be very proud" and they said they would wait a ways down the path to give us the moment. 

Having a father who served in the Pacific, mom who served in the WAC driving generals in Washington, DC and an uncle who was in the invasion of Italy, this visit really brought it home.  And Pointe de Huc was a highlight....how those Rangers accomplished what they did there is...well, no words.
"Colonel, I do not care to die, but I pray to God I may never leave this field."

Con

I walked these battlefields with my father 4 years ago. We were retracing the steps of his uncle who was killed on DDay +11 in I company 502nd Parachute regt on Purple Heart Lane during the battle to take Carentan. With research and a lot of help from the 101 parachute historians we were able to pinpoint the exact spot where he was mortally wounded (a battle buddy of his who survived the war wrote about this experience and we were able to use a lot of his work as reference points along with battle maps and satellite shots.

It was a reasly emotional moment to see where a relative had fallen and a big deal for my dad who was 15 at the time this uncle who was his favorite died. I am hoping my dad will be well enough to return there with my boys in a couple of years so we can keep his memory alive for another generation. In short for anyone interested in military history Normandy needs to be on their bucket list.

Con
Excuse spelling on an iPad and typing like a gorilla picking out bugs with its thumbs