Graviteam Tactics: Operation Star questions

Started by ComradeP, May 07, 2016, 12:15:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

ComradeP

I've only recently taken the plunge and bought Operation Star, on sale this week on Steam. The comments about a poor UI and documentation around its release kept me away from the game until now, but I figured that several years have passed and things should now be improved.

Thankfully, that does seem to be the case and I find the UI is quite functional.

I do have some tactics/unit handling questions that I'm hoping the veterans of the series can answer.

-Is there a way to keep the men in a squad close to eachother?

When a quad advances, the men form a line, changing to a loose skirmish formation as soon as they run into enemy troops. That's fine, but it means that one or more men can move to positions where the rest of the squad can't support them, leading to unnecessary fatalities.

If the lay of the land or the presence of buildings or trees limits visibility, this causes men to turn a corner or cross a slight rise by themselves where they end up getting shot. Are there formation/type of movement combinations that limit the men spreading out? "Dense" formation doesn't do the trick.

This can also be a problem for support weapon units with their own spotters, like mortar halftracks, where the two men in front might move into suicidal positions.

It also makes setting up AT ambushes in forested or concealed terrain very difficult as only 2-3 men in a squad end up in a position from where they might throw a satchel charge or attach a mine to the unexpecting tank. The game is infantry-heavy, which is a very nice variation from most tactical wargames, but I'm still trying to maximize infantry effectiveness through positioning.

-Is it coincidental or are very few men "wounded" with most casualties being killed or heavily wounded? I believe I have only 1 "wounded" man out of some 70 or so casualties in a campaign so far.

-What is your preferred movement type for moving vehicles around? The poor vehicle pathing was the reason I quit playing Close Combat, and I have to say that the pathing in Operation Star can also be...peculiar. Like in Close Combat, vehicles often seem to change direction/turn for no clear reason and the pathing can make crossing a ford or anything with ditches very hit-or-miss. I like that vehicles can get immobilized by driving into a ditch, but an experienced driver making an unexpected turn and toppling or ending in a hole in the ground after suddenly changing direction away from where you ordered them to go is inconvenient.

-I guess I might be able to find this elsewhere, but does anyone know at what height relative to ground level LOS calculations are made? It seems gun-equipped vehicles without a turret (StuGs, halftracks) seem to think they can see a target whilst they can't hit it, as if they're spotting from the cupola/from a standing position in the halftrack.
The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45