Norway addresses those cold, Arctic nights

Started by besilarius, January 20, 2017, 07:56:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

besilarius

https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/norway/2017-01-19/norways-radical-military-experiment

Personally have trouble believing this would work in the cultural mix in america.  We're not that mature.

Recall a conversation with a military attache in Athens about 1973.  He indicated that mixed units, during the 1948 war, suffered heavier casualties than regular units.  But this was because the male soldiers took greater risks to protect the women in the unit.
And those women soldiers were often veterans of the vicious partisan fighting behind the lines in Russia.
These soldiers were really hard core and had to be watched because they mistreated prisoners badly.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

JudgeDredd

It's not women's fault that men think it's their duty to protect them...it's society.

However, I'm not a fan of quotas. It generally means someone worthy of the position is pushed out to meet an agenda.

Sometimes I imagine gender is an issue - and where that's the case, people just have to deal with the fact that gender is the limitation and just can't be overcome...but where gender isn't a block, then it shouldn't be made as one.

If a woman can do the job - with no changes to required training and fitness levels - then what's the big deal?

That's my view  O0

Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people