Combined Arms (formerly Battlefields) - Still Alive in Development since 2003

Started by ArizonaTank, March 01, 2017, 08:20:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

ArizonaTank

Wow!

Combined Arms (formerly Battlefields) has been "in development" with Matrix since at least 2003.  I used to visit the forum frequently 15 years ago.  More recently, I had forgotten all about it... But a recent trip to the Matrix forums shows it is still being worked, and actually may even be good.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3861262&mpage=3&key=

Here's to persistence....
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

-budd-

Ive been keeping tabs on it off and on over the years. At this point the wego concept is the only thing keeping me interested. This game is like the Duke Nukem of war games, man its hard to believe 15 years have past.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Phantom

The screenshots look a little TOAW-ish, I hope its not another Matrix re-brand of an old game.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Phantom on March 01, 2017, 02:33:19 PM
The screenshots look a little TOAW-ish, I hope its not another Matrix re-brand of an old game.

Just based on what I've read about it over the years, it is a "new" engine, built from the ground up. 
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: -budd- on March 01, 2017, 09:15:19 AM
Ive been keeping tabs on it off and on over the years. At this point the wego concept is the only thing keeping me interested. This game is like the Duke Nukem of war games, man its hard to believe 15 years have past.

+1 on WEGO. 

If John Tiller and Shrapnel can still keep gamers interested with 15 year old interfaces, I'll keep an open mind on this one.  But I doubt it will set the computer wargaming world "on fire" when (most importantly "if") it is released.

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Cyrano

Fifteen years?  Please.  Bulge/Ardennes was released in 1995 and the UI remains substantively the same.  We are the hardcore.

As to this release, my goodness, well, let me say that if raw perseverance is a virtue, these folks are among the world's most noble.

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

dinsdale

Just what matrix needs, another long-delayed game to follow in the glory that was Empires In Arms and World in Flames. Huzzah!