75% OFF ON ALL PANZER CORPS TITLES!

Started by Lord Zimoa, May 04, 2017, 02:41:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

-budd-

Yea... Well I almost jumped, its a lot of content for an excellent price. I thought about MP  also then I watched some game play videos and snapped out of it. Same thing with Unity of Command and Order of Battle series, just don't enjoy that style of game anymore.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Gusington on May 06, 2017, 09:55:18 AM
Agreed - not as bad as the puzzle element of something like Unity of Command though.

True, partly because you get a lot more options in PzCorps.

Many turn-based games have _some_ kind of limited-turn time constraint, though. Both the games I'm AARing right now (plug plug) have hard time limits, and one of those is basically PzCorps 39 (or the first couple of PzGen missions) on a larger scale! -- defeat all of Western Poland in 12 turns or something like that. (10 turns? 14? I forget.)

I can understand people being more sensitive to this issue as the turn limits decrease: UoC is superharsh in its time limits, so much so that your mission can be randomly ruined with no possibility at the outset by bad weather in the wrong place. And yeah, pressure can ruin the fun of a game -- especially when the pressure feels artificially forced. (I understand the point to staying on the history track for Panzer General and its remakes, even in UoC, but most missions in the PG-based Fantasy Wars/Elven Legacy series or WH40K:Armageddon series, both of which I otherwise love, don't provide a good context for why missions should have turn limits. Some missions being timed in XCOM2 make sense, but not almost all of them.)

As long as the pressure makes sense, I'm a lot more tolerant of it though.  O:-) But if I'm feeling specially stressed already, I'd rather play something without time limits even if it's more actively stressy (e.g. the Batman:Arkham series or some action game like that).
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

airboy

Quote from: Cyrano on May 06, 2017, 04:53:06 PM
I bought the damn thing because, well, look at all the stuff.

I registered the first, I think three campaigns.

I fired up Fall Weiss.

And there it was again:  take over these cities or these airbases...quickly...or you lose.

FIRST SCENARIO.

As well, perhaps MP?

The difficulty level is important in how critical beat the clock is to the game.  If you crank up the difficulty, the clock is critical.  PanzerCorps has more clock issues than OoB. 

Order of Battle had no major clock issues on level 2 (of 5).  I've played everything except the last package released a month ago.

jomni


Tuna

Turn limits like Panzer Corp had were a big turn off for me. Kind of like the Tom Clancy games where you lost when one hostage gets killed. You take away the variety of possible conclusions of the game, boring.

Cyrano

@Jason -- I had the EXACT same thought about DC: Blitzkrieg.  Then I realized, I didn't much care for it there either.  It's a balance, I suppose, but there are times playing Panzer Corps that it feels like it's the only design tool they have.  They hold only a hammer and all the world is nails.
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806