Decades Feeder Bracket - Wild Card 70s Week 3 Round of 16

Started by MetalDog, January 29, 2018, 09:51:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trailrunner

Quote from: Steelgrave on January 31, 2018, 09:55:30 AM
Good bracket and yes, I did enjoy seeing "The Boss" leading off. "Jungleland" is amazing, a better song than "Rosalita" all the way around but you have to listen to "Jungleland" to get the depth and sheer poetry of the piece, whereas "Rosalita" is a feel good song. By way of comparison, I know the complete lyrics to "Jungleland" by heart (and the poets down here don't write nothin' at all, they just stand back and let it all be) but little more than the refrain to "Rosalita". But I'm not complaining. It's all for fun anyway.

And hell yeah to Supertramp! One of the more unappreciated bands of the 70's.

Jungleland is indeed a beautiful, powerful ballad and one of my favorites. But I like Backsreets even more.

Steelgrave

Quote from: trailrunner on January 31, 2018, 12:08:15 PM
Quote from: Steelgrave on January 31, 2018, 09:55:30 AM
Good bracket and yes, I did enjoy seeing "The Boss" leading off. "Jungleland" is amazing, a better song than "Rosalita" all the way around but you have to listen to "Jungleland" to get the depth and sheer poetry of the piece, whereas "Rosalita" is a feel good song. By way of comparison, I know the complete lyrics to "Jungleland" by heart (and the poets down here don't write nothin' at all, they just stand back and let it all be) but little more than the refrain to "Rosalita". But I'm not complaining. It's all for fun anyway.

And hell yeah to Supertramp! One of the more unappreciated bands of the 70's.

Jungleland is indeed a beautiful, powerful ballad and one of my favorites. But I like Backsreets even more.

Actually, Backstreets is my favorite Springsteen song ever  :smitten: I first heard it after my high school girlfriend broke up with me. I still see her face when I hear Bruce sing, "you're just a Tramp of Hearts, crying tears of faithlessness"    :coolsmiley:

MetalDog

The DJs on my local FM station growing up were big Bruce fans.  I always dug Jungleland, Backstreets, 10th Avenue Freeze Out, Rosalita, Thunder Road, et al.  I always thought he sold out a little on 'Born in the U.S.A.'
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Tuna

Quote from: bob48 on January 31, 2018, 10:55:29 AM
Its OK. I can take it.

...so, like I said - just me then <smug mode>

They were banned in Boston in 75, that was it.. A few of my friends saw them earlier.

MetalDog

I've seen Plant twice.  Even did a couple Zeppelin songs the second time I saw him.  My brother saw Page.  That's as close as either of us has gotten.

mirth

I saw Plant solo back in the early 90s. Alannah Myles opened for him.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

MetalDog

That bill is the second time I saw him.  I walked in to the arena when she was singing that song, but, we were cruising the concourse for the rest of her set.

trailrunner

Quote from: MetalDog on January 31, 2018, 07:11:26 PM
The DJs on my local FM station growing up were big Bruce fans.  I always dug Jungleland, Backstreets, 10th Avenue Freeze Out, Rosalita, Thunder Road, et al.  I always thought he sold out a little on 'Born in the U.S.A.'

IMHO he peaked with Darkness on the Edge of Town, and went downhill after that.  Remember The River and Lincoln Nebraska?  I think after those two less-than-successful albums he had to go mainstream with Born in the USA.

I saw him about 1980, maybe a year later.  I knew that during Thunder Road he usually let the crowd sing some of the awesome opening verse, and it was an electric moment. 

Staggerwing

I'll have to say that 'Greetings from Ashbury Park' is still Springsteen's greatest album. Saint in the City, Blinded by the  Light, For You, Spirit in the Night, etc. Awesome stuff.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

MetalDog