Aussie Dictionary Word of the Year

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2024, 10:08:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

ArizonaTank

So while the Oxford Dictionary picks "demure" as word of the year...

The Aussies are having none of it.

The Macquarie Dictionary of Australian English has chosen:  "enshittification"

The word refers to how digital platforms treat their users. According to article linked below, it is "the process by which digital platforms "die": "First, they are good to their users; then they abuse their users to make things better for their business customers; finally, they abuse those business customers to claw back all the value for themselves."

This seems to fit some MMORPGs I know as well...

Personally, I could have come up with other definitions...but I do like what is now in the Macquarie...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/what-many-of-us-feel-enshittification-named-word-of-the-year/ar-AA1uLxZP?ocid=msedgntp&pc=NMTS&cvid=885d9cf165a7438db2b250eb80e12a85&ei=26
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Sir Slash

So that's what they're calling that today. Back when I worked, I just called it, "Screwed Dude".  :shocked:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.