Steam: Loading the same saved-game on two different computers

Started by Martok, November 16, 2013, 01:20:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martok

So I've just discovered something -- well, I don't know if "extraordinary" is the right term (especially since I'm guessing this won't be news to at least some of you) -- but at least interesting and somewhat surprising: 

Some of you may recall me mentioning a month or two back that my hard drive is split 50/50 between XP and Win7.  This is mostly because I play a large number of older games that are known (or at least strongly reputed) to not work very well -- or at all -- on newer Windows operating systems. 

As it happens, there's a few PC titles I've ended up installing on both halves of my hard drive.  One of these is Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes, which is (regrettably) one of the increasing number of games that requires Steam to play. 

In any case, I only today realized that I can take a saved-game of FE:LH that I was playing on the XP half of my hard drive, and then load it onto the Win7 half of my hard drive (and vice-versa).  What I'm wondering is whether I can do this because it's something specific to this particular title, or if it's something all Steam games are capable of. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

eyebiter

Nefaro

Plus the individual game in question must support the Steam Cloud.

There was a bit of a stink about performance in EU4 since it's achievements had to be achieved using Hardcore Mode and that, in turn, required constant saving to the Steam Cloud.  The Cloud save is nice, and one of the good things about Steam, but it can often be slow as hell when saving in a real-time game such as EU4.  So people's games would freeze up every time it saved, until the cloud save had gone through to Steam.  It was maddeningly jolting.  I hope they did something to improve that in a recent update.

jomni

This is not for all games but for those that supports the cloud.

Martok

Thanks for the replies, fellas.  I did a little digging, and yes FE:LH supports the Steam Cloud (no surprise there). 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces