Transformers: Devastation

Started by sandman2575, October 06, 2015, 12:57:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

sandman2575

A little surprised no thread on this (unless I've just blindly overlooked it -- but I double-checked!)

anyhoo, it's out --

http://store.steampowered.com/app/338930/


Wow, the nostalgia is strong with this one. 10-year-old me spent many hours playing with these and watching the cartoon -- and still remember having my mind blown in so many ways by the Movie (where Transformers actually died! How could that be?!? they never died in the cartoon!)

Gameplay looks a bit frantic -- *way* faster than stuff I usually play...

Any folks playing?

Also, just going to throw this out there -- easily the best Transformer who was all but ignored in the cartoon:  Shockwave. 

JasonPratt

There was a thread about it previously somewhere, but I don't think it was a 'gaming' thread per se...?

Wishlisted, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to wait a while on it. Too many things already to play, so I might as well wait strategically.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

jomni

I know I started one before.  The search did not bring it up.

sandman2575

So, not a lot of interest for this one, eh?

Haven't bought it, but the hook for me is definitely the fact that it is based on the 80s cartoon and seems to pretty faithfully reproduce the look of that show. If it had anything to do with the Michael Bay franchise, I wouldn't give it a second thought.   

Also, Sideswipe was my first transformer, and he's one of the featured Autobots. Funny how I still remember that 30 years later...

Jarhead0331

Isn't this just a brawler? That makes it a bit "meh" for me.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


sandman2575

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 06, 2015, 06:30:23 PM
Isn't this just a brawler? That makes it a bit "meh" for me.

I get the sense that it is mostly just that -- although sounds like there is some weapons crafting and something resembling a SP campaign. But if the experience is indeed 90% hack-&-slash and little beside, I'll probably pass (...until steeply discounted...)

I was counting on you, Jarhead, or Judge Dredd to have bought this already and given us a detailed report   :)

Jarhead0331

Quote from: sandman2575 on October 06, 2015, 07:00:24 PM

I was counting on you, Jarhead, or Judge Dredd to have bought this already and given us a detailed report   :)

I hate letting my gaming brothers down, but I'm afraid I have to pass on this one for now.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


JasonPratt

Jim Sterling generally praises it, but warns the game is relatively short. Weapons are (somewhat) based on the figures' original weapons, Sideswipe's twin swords and shoulder mounted barrager being an example in the video.

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Just watching the game play... I'm not sure I'll like this as much as the War/Fall of Cybertron duology.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!