I Mean, If You're Going to Offend People, Don't Go Halfway

Started by bayonetbrant, November 15, 2013, 06:59:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on November 15, 2013, 01:59:01 PM
Im just wondering why have that team name at all or a high school?

local ag industry was heavy on dates, olives, etc - all stuff that was brought to the area by a large presence of MidEast immigrants.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

endfire79

slightly different, but if it was called the Zorba's you wouldn't have heard anything :) (before Windy hits me, yes I know Greece isn't mideast, but it's pretty close, and we love olives and oily stuff :)
"I will return before you can say 'antidisestablishmentarianism'."

"A man may fight for many things. His country, his principles, his friends. The glistening tear on the cheek of a golden child. But personally, I'd mud-wrestle my own mother for a ton of cash, an amusing clock and a sack of French porn."

bayonetbrant

Quote from: endfire79 on November 15, 2013, 02:33:32 PMand oily stuff :)

there's a sheep joke in there somewhere, but I'll defer to Starfury as the subject matter expert
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


Martok

Hmm.  Well it's certainly not the most tasteful thing I've ever seen.  I'm not that bothered by it myself, but I'm also not of of Arabic descent. 

I'd say this one is at about the same level as sports teams with Native American names (Redskins, Mohawks, Braves, etc.).  It's not hard to see why it might seen as offensive, but that was obviously never the teams' intentions -- if anything, it's more of a tribute to the groups in question (if possibly misguided). 


Incidentally, I suddenly wish we'd had belly-dancers back in high school.  I might have gone to a lot more basketball games.  ;D 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces


bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

GDS_Starfury

You've never seen my LB for president poster from the 04 election.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


LongBlade

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on November 16, 2013, 09:29:47 PM
You've never seen my LB for president poster from the 04 election.

Bush II had a run for his money on that one. If it weren't for the rumors that that leaked in October suggesting I might be some kind of respectable person, I would have won.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

LongBlade

Some news. They're going to keep the name but change the image of the mascot.

Quote"A mascot chosen to show reverence and honor for the customs of prideful Middle Eastern peoples throughout our region, now provokes negative feelings, and this must be addressed," Adams wrote. "Times change, people change, and, subsequently, even symbols and words embraced for decades may need to be considered for change as well."

The Arab mascot has existed since the 1920s and was chosen to recognize the Coachella Valley's reliance on date farming, traditionally a Middle Eastern crop. Over the years, the mascot evolved from a turban-wearing horseman carrying a lance to a standing figure with a scowl and a headscarf.

source: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/11/17/calif-high-school-will-keep-arabs-nickname/?intcmp=latestnews
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.