Favorite Game Strategy Setting

Started by Bison, December 31, 2013, 01:05:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Bison

Quote from: Gusington on January 01, 2014, 04:13:32 PM
I have a copy of Great Invasions buried somewhere...that game takes place between the 5th and 11th centuries...once known as The Dark Ages.

It's still known as the Dark Ages.

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Staggerwing

Quote from: Gusington on January 01, 2014, 04:13:32 PM
Hegemony is a great game and I am not even a great fan of ancient Greece. Hegemony: Rome is supposed to be released 1st quarter this year.

I have a copy of Great Invasions buried somewhere...that game takes place between the 5th and 11th centuries...once known as The Dark Ages. There are also multiple mods for Medieval 2 Total War for Dark Age campaigns.

I have GI as well. I started a game as early as I could date wise but the game locked me out after a few turns. I couldn't give orders to any of my units for some buggy reason. I keep meaning to start it up a new game but have not gotten around to it. Now I have to track down where I archived the installer.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Bison

Quote from: Staggerwing on January 01, 2014, 07:11:27 PM
Even during the daytime?

Yeah. It was also colder.  Some sort of climate change thingy going on but without the combustion engine.

Slick Wilhelm

WWI
Anglo-Boer Wars
American Civil War
Russo-Japanese War
WWII
Russian Civil War

Everything else beyond that is of little or occasional interest.


republic

1.  WW2 Naval Operations - Especially Carrier Ops
2.  Age of Sail Naval Ops
3.  Trading/Building games - Anno
4.  Spaaaace

MengJiao

Quote from: Bison on January 01, 2014, 06:43:02 PM
Quote from: Gusington on January 01, 2014, 04:13:32 PM
I have a copy of Great Invasions buried somewhere...that game takes place between the 5th and 11th centuries...once known as The Dark Ages.

It's still known as the Dark Ages.

  They would seem especially dim to anyone who was trying to run a kingdom.  You'd say, "How many ships do we have ready for sea
at one week's notice at Hacking?"
  The number of confused looks among your sworn warriors and bishops and whatnot around your royal person would be stunning.  You'd probably have to send a minister armed with special powers to find out and the court cases in the folk moot and revolts resulting from your trying to find out would drag on for years.  Plus it would take a month to find out what you had ready to sail in a week.

FarAway Sooner


  • Fantasy is #1 for me, preferably High Fantasy and/or Dark Fantasy.  I think the best entry in this genre for atmosphere was probably the Civ IV: Fall from Heaven mod.  From a game play standpoint, there were some serious exploits in that mod, but it just oozed atmosphere and provided a nice backdrop for the Player vs Environment situation.
  • Sci Fi is #2 for me.  Sadly, most of the Sci Fi titles in the last 10 years have been either unoriginal (Master of Orion or just kinda uninspiring (Gal Civ.  In terms of atmosphere, I think the best entry in this category would be Homeworld, but how old is that title?  I enjoyed MoO 2 but didn't really get into it as much as I could have.
  • WW II is #3 for me, although it's where I have my war gaming routes and there are a lot of good games there.  It's fascinating, but I just can't get as wholeheartedly excited to be fighting other human beings.
  • Modern-era games are the best for me, although I prefer something with a little twist.  The best example here, and it could be classified as Sci Fi but doesn't seem to quite meet the description, is the original X-Com: UFO Defense.  I think that title gets my nomination for best atmosphere ever.
Other settings come after those.

jomni