Ford Motors = Big Brother?

Started by LongBlade, January 10, 2014, 07:32:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

They are quick to point out that they don't share this info with anyone (besides the NSA can geolocate you by your phone any time they want), but there does seem to be room for potential abuse.

Quote"We know everyone who breaks the law, we know when you're doing it," Ford Vice-President Jim Farley told a crowd in Las Vegas during the show. "We have GPS in your car, so we know what you're doing."

The global marketing and sales division chief was trying to make a larger point about the amount of real-time data Ford has on drivers that could be used in the future to alleviate problems like traffic congestion.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2014/01/10/ford-we-have-gps-in-your-car-so-we-know-what-youre-doing/#ixzz2q2sMOXdo
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Steelgrave

Disturbing but not surprising. Simply knowing they are doing this means that sooner or later (if it hasn't happened already) law enforcement will push them for gps data in a case, going after a subpoena if needed. And just wait until the insurance companies start making such info mandatory.

Staggerwing

Doesn't Flo the Progressive Girl already offer drivers a widget that they can plug into their car and prove they are safe drivers, thus getting a discount? It's only a short hop to having insurance companies making driver 'black boxes' mandatory to keeping your coverage, and also either jacking up your premiums or even dropping you if the telemetry shows less than ideal client risk data.

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

Steelgrave

Yeah, and USAA just rolled them out. I'm with you....at some point in the near future, it will no longer be a choice for consumers.

Centurion40

And your car will be able to drive itself, which will work out well for us old gaffers.
Any time is a good time for pie.

BanzaiCat

Any car with OnStar installed can be tracked, whether or not you choose to subscribe to them. So it makes perfect sense that this is happening.

And if cars can drive themselves, then great. Then I won't have to sweat the morons driving too slow in the left lanes, or dummies that don't use turn signals. I can just take a nap and let Otto Pilot take over.

LongBlade

LongBlade

Quote from: Staggerwing on January 10, 2014, 07:48:36 PM
Doesn't Flo the Progressive Girl already offer drivers a widget that they can plug into their car and prove they are safe drivers, thus getting a discount? It's only a short hop to having insurance companies making driver 'black boxes' mandatory to keeping your coverage, and also either jacking up your premiums or even dropping you if the telemetry shows less than ideal client risk data.

The strategy, I think, is going to be more subtle.

Who needs the biggest pricing break? Young drivers.

They'll adopt the black box for a discount.

The only way it won't work is if enough people don't adopt the black box or only poor drivers who are in accidents adopt it.

Personally, I have no intention of installing a black box. I'm an extremely safe driver - but I value my privacy more than a handful of dollars.

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Gusington

^I hate that columnist. He's so femme.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

It's not his fault- his parents sent him off to film school at too young an age.

Sir Slash

In Russia you no drive car-- car drives you. Coming here soon. ;D
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.