Main Menu

Banner Saga

Started by Longdan, December 27, 2012, 08:40:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Tpek

I only played for a few minutes but looks like it might have potential.
Lots of backstory and such you can read about (especially on the map screen).

And while the game's tutorial/hints/tips are lacking, it does slowly let you learn how to properly play and what to do.

Gusington

Is it set in its own universe or is it based on something series of books or previous games or something?
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

Quote from: Sir Slash on January 14, 2014, 03:04:53 PM
Looks like a cartoon version of Skyrim. Hope I'm wrong and it's a winner.

It plays nothing like Skyrim. It's much closer to an old school RPG like Temple of Elemental Evil or Baldur's Gate. But with a completely different mythos.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

TheCommandTent

Back when this was on Kickstarter I was tempted to jump in but never pulled the trigger.  I'll be interested to see what y'all think once you are able to put more time into.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Nefaro

I played the multi-player combat thing on Steam for a bit.  It's kinda fun but it didn't have a huge amount of variety.  What it really needed was a single player campaign to tie the battles together instead of the turn-based multi-player arena combat, which is all they've had available up until now.

I still held off on purchasing this one just because I'm not sure how much variety is available in the campaign.  I got the impression that it is a canned string of encounters, despite the description saying your decisions can all change the path you take.  I'm concerned it will just be a small progression tree with few branches in regards to campaign paths. 

So I'm waiting for some more playthroughs and impressions.  I already have buttloads of games yet to play so my pc game purchasing addiction has been somewhat cured lately.  The EU4 DLC also comes out today so it may get earlier attention unless Banner Saga's campaign really is like King of Dragon Pass, which I doubt.

tgb

Quote from: Sir Slash on January 14, 2014, 03:04:53 PM
Looks like a cartoon version of Skyrim. Hope I'm wrong and it's a winner.

It's no more an open-world game than any other choose-your-own-adventure.  Yes, there are branching points where you have to decide how to proceed, but form what I've heard it's pretty linear.

LongBlade

Quote from: tgb on January 14, 2014, 04:53:11 PM
Quote from: Sir Slash on January 14, 2014, 03:04:53 PM
Looks like a cartoon version of Skyrim. Hope I'm wrong and it's a winner.

It's no more an open-world game than any other choose-your-own-adventure.  Yes, there are branching points where you have to decide how to proceed, but form what I've heard it's pretty linear.

It's like you and Nefaro say - lots of linear plot with encounters where you have choices on how to respond. Your choices do seem to have an affect on the game.

Aside from the tactical combat there is also caravan movement - movement between points on the map. You have supplies which are consumed as you go. Choices to rest or push on. Sometimes encounters offer choices that may help you gather additional supplies. I also see where you have choices which influence whether you gain additional fighters. I'm not sure how these impact the game, but there is definitely a dual game here.

That said, it seems mostly to be a plot on rails, but the story is compelling and the setting is fresh. It continues to grow on me.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Jarhead0331

Not trying to start a flame war, but this RPS review is the reason I go there for news only. It is simply unreadable to me. Not everybody has 20 minutes to waste just trying to get to the bottom line.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/01/21/banner-saga-review/#more-185595
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Nefaro

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 21, 2014, 05:00:06 PM
Not trying to start a flame war, but this RPS review is the reason I go there for news only. It is simply unreadable to me. Not everybody has 20 minutes to waste just trying to get to the bottom line.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/01/21/banner-saga-review/#more-185595

Is that even a review?  It looks like a goddamn mess.  Do they have high school kids writing terrible plays in place of their reviews lately?

I've never seen one that bad there.  I must not visit the place often enough to find these big turds.  :D

panzerde

I've played about three hours of the game and am enjoying it for what it is. It's pretty, there's lots of lore, the map is cool, and the turn-based combat isn't boring me yet. It interests me more than Space Hulk has been able to.

That review would take me longer to parse than play the damn game. I don't mind reading long-form articles, but that's just a couple of dudes engaging in an extended wank.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

FarAway Sooner

That was a painful-to-read preview.  The highlights I picked up from skimming it:


  • The backstory is beautiful and engaging.
  • The combat gets kinda tedious.
  • The two parts of the game don't seem to fit together that well.

Sir Slash

The review at Gamespot had it 7/10. Said it was 10 hours long which may not be enough for a lot of people.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Tpek

Quote from: Sir Slash on January 22, 2014, 10:58:03 AM
The review at Gamespot had it 7/10. Said it was 10 hours long which may not be enough for a lot of people.

Less actually.
I believe I got it in less than 10.
Though I didn't try to start the game again in order to get a better/different ending and all the achievements (keeping certain characters alive, or not having them kill humans/giants, etc...)