Main Menu

Real Warfare 1242

Started by tgb, March 17, 2014, 01:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

tgb

Steam has this on sale this week for $15.  Is it any good? I'm torn between this and March of the Eagles (on sale for $7)

Grim.Reaper

I thought this game and its followup Northern Crusades had potential, but they really didn't support the game after release, which was too bad.  If your looking to get, you can also get from Greenmangaming for $11.70 today using the code of AW3PEM-PTOQ6J-Z77C67  It is a steam key.

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/strategy/real-warfare-1242/

Jarhead0331

Get the entire 1C wargame collection for $13.75-ish. It comes with the entire Real Warfare series, as well as Theatre of War 1-3 and a few of the Men at War games. A lot of gaming in that package.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Nefaro

Northern Crusades was the only one I bothered with since it has a sandbox campaign similar to the style in Mount & Blade.

It could've used more updating and an expansion with more playable factions (you can only play as a Teutonic warlord), but Mitra's mod helped fix some of the issues.  They weren't necessarily all bugs, but there was the occasional issue with game mechanics not always making the best sense. 

I thought the battles were nice since they really stressed keeping a well-disciplined formation to be most effective, and there are extra UI indicators to help you quantify how well you're doing just that, along with all the morale bonuses/penalties & such.  I thought the combat results better than the TW series in that it wasn't over in short order either.  You'd better have a reserve because once they're committed to melee, they'll be indisposed until the issue is decided.  The game could be quite difficult, as a whole.

Toonces

It's a fun game, but I don't know that it's $15 fun.  I would second Jarhead's recommendation to get it in a bundle.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs