Let Your Stomach Flow Freely! -- DESCENT returns via Steam

Started by JasonPratt, February 11, 2014, 12:02:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

JasonPratt

Steam has released the original 360-degrees of freedom FPS DESCENT (which was also one of the first native 3D games) for modern computers.

All your lunch are belong to them.  :D
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Tuna

LOL.. one of the first games to give me the Huyzeees!..

Huy is the name of a guy at work who cannot play ANY FPS shooters, get's nauseous with them all.. so we created the name of the Huyzees..

I do ok.. with Battlefield.. Call of Duty.. ArmaII.. like games that have the option to turn off Head Bob, or change FOV..

But this one was the 'first' to give me that nauseous feeling!

bobarossa

Descent 1 through 3 have been of GOG for a while now.  And I sound like a brother to your Huyzee guy.  I was able to play Battlefield 2 without problem but almost every other FPS makes me nauseous.  I remember getting nauseous just watching the trailer for Battlefield 3. 

Martok

Yep, I'd purchased all three Descent games on GOG a while ago.  They don't give me as many problems with motion-sickness as most FPS's, but even I can only play them for an hour or two at a time. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Rayfer

Can anyone remember the D&D-like RPG they made using the Descent engine?  I can't, I only remember it was a debacle when released and with so many bugs it was unplayable.  I don't think they ever really fixed it.

bobarossa

Quote from: Rayfer on February 11, 2014, 02:53:28 PM
Can anyone remember the D&D-like RPG they made using the Descent engine?  I can't, I only remember it was a debacle when released and with so many bugs it was unplayable.  I don't think they ever really fixed it.
Here you go! 
http://www.giantbomb.com/descent-to-undermountain/3030-5843/

Descent to Undermountain!

Rayfer

Thanks bobarossa....I suspected somebody on these forums would remember. 

Father Ted

I had Descent back in the day, but I think I'll pass on this.  It's not because of the ralph-and-huey : motion-sickness is a minor prob for me IRL,  but thankfully not a all in games.  No, it's just that often times these ports just spoil my memories of venerable old games because I can't help but compare them to what I play now.

Rayfer

Quote from: Father Ted on February 11, 2014, 05:19:56 PM
I had Descent back in the day, but I think I'll pass on this.  It's not because of the ralph-and-huey : motion-sickness is a minor prob for me IRL,  but thankfully not a all in games.  No, it's just that often times these ports just spoil my memories of venerable old games because I can't help but compare them to what I play now.

I couldn't agree more.  So many of those old classics just don't do it anymore.  They were great in their day but just don't deliver the joy they did back then.  At least, that's been my experience.

JasonPratt

Several years ago I co-op'd all of Descent 1's campaign with... I don't quite remember who, my brother or my pupil, but we were pleased at how well it held up despite its stunning 480i graphics.  ;D

Yes obviously GoG Descent would be better (less DRM) I suppose; more importantly they have the two Freespace games which descend directly from Descent.

I bought the Undermountain game and it was so horribly buggy I returned it for credit on something else. Even back then that wasn't easy as retailers had figured out people could install and return games, but its reputation had quickly made the rounds.

Worth keeping in mind, the lead designer went on directly to Balder's Gate and Planescape:Torment.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!