Cities XL or Cities in Motion

Started by JudgeDredd, May 09, 2014, 03:53:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

JudgeDredd

After seeing a reference to Cities in Motion, playing the demo, looking at a review of Cities in Motion and from the same guy (out of 8) for Cities in Motion 2 and deciding Cities in Motion was superior - then stumbling on Cities XL Platinum...I'm confuddled.

Does anyone have any knowledge of these games and, if so, any ideas which is best?

If you only have knowledge of one, I'd appreciate your insight - especially on Cities XL Platinum as I have already played Cities in Motion demo and enjoyed it.

Here's my problem.

Out of 8 wrote a very favourable review of Cities in Motion
He also wrote a pretty damning (well, video) of Cities in Motion 2 - BUT - that was 12 months ago...so it's possible the game is better.

Whilst I am tempted with Cities in Motion, I'm a bit meh about only having 4 cities. Cities in Motion 2 has Sandbox.

However - then I stumbled across Cities XL Platinum. This looks more like Sim City. I loved Sim City and I have 4 - but it does look somewhat dated. Sim City 5 is a no go with such small cities.

So - I'm tempted with Cities in Motion - but limited cities is a put off
Cities in Motion 2 - the review was pretty damning but it was a year ago
Cities XL Platinum - city building and more like Sim City - but know nothing about it.

Thanks  ;)
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Nefaro

I did part of the tutorial but it didn't catch my interest.

Seemed like a decent piece of programming, though. 

JudgeDredd

I just bought Cities in Motion. That's the demo I tried and therefore the game I enjoyed
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

skeptical.platypus

I think I'll try out the demo, too. I'm enjoying both Simcity 4 and Simcity 2013 at the moment, and alternating between the two. Bigger cities than Simcity 2013 with some modern ui might be the trick.

I get the two mixed up as well -- I have a meh impression of both, but I'm not sure if I'm conflating the two. A demo surely can't hurt, right?
The Law of Unintended Consequences, Seattle Pride Variant: The only city on the planet that can guarantee your purchase of recreational marijuana is from a stoner making $15/hr.

Pinetree

If anyone has a Mac, I have a steam key for Cities in Motion to give away. I got a given free PC and Mac key ages ago from a paradox newsletter.
Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

WallysWorld

For Cities in Motion, I've installed two mods which I think improves the game:

1) The Vehicle Realism Mod which increases the capacity of the vehicles as the vanilla ones seem to have really limited capacity: http://www.cimexchange.com/files/file/674-vehicle-realism-mod/

2) The Realistic Dates Mod which adjusts the dates that the DLC vehicles appear and then become obsolete: http://www.cimexchange.com/files/file/438-realistic-dates-mod/
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

JudgeDredd

Thx

I bought Cities in Motion in the end and was surprised to see more than 4 cities, a map editor (which I haven't tried), a campaign mode and a sandbox mode (which isn't really true sandbox - you have a selection of cities to choose from).

I have however come across a few of annoyances.

1. The map doesn't zoom out nearly enough for my liking. I find I want to zoom out and see the whole line and can't (or maybe I'm making my lines too large?)
2. Your bus starts at stop 1, but doesn't pick anyone up - so by the time the bus gets round, there's a growing number of annoyed passengers
3. If you add a new stop to a line, it stops the line from operating until you click the flag to get it going again. That's fine...but then all your buses/trams start at the same time. A case of you wait forever for a bus and then ten turn up at the same time.

I'm sure there are a few others but simply can't remember them just now.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people


JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people