Valve contemplating second tournament

Started by MetalDog, July 14, 2014, 07:59:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

MetalDog

The successful Dota 2 tournament has people seeing dollar signs elsewhere.  Counter Strike may be the next tournament offering from Valve.  Right now, it's just talk, but, the saying is money talks, bs walks.  So we will see what comes down the line.


http://www.gamespot.com/articles/valve-says-counter-strike-could-get-a-tournament-e/1100-6421091/
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones


"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

RooksBailey

I truly think e-sports is the future of competitive television.  I know a lot of people, even gamers, dismiss the idea, but not me.  I'd much rather watch a Starcraft tourney on television than another golf tournament.   :)
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


Rayfer

To each his own. I'd rather watch paint dry than people play video games on tv. Yet others said the same thing about the World Cup games which I watched quite a lot.  I guess that's why there are now hundreds of channels on tv each catering to a difference audience but still able to make some money. I'm not against it, I just won't watch it.

Nefaro

Quote from: RooksBailey on July 15, 2014, 12:27:02 AM
I truly think e-sports is the future of competitive television.  I know a lot of people, even gamers, dismiss the idea, but not me.  I'd much rather watch a Starcraft tourney on television than another golf tournament.   :)

Well.. compared to golf... yeah.   ;)

RooksBailey

Quote from: Nefaro on July 15, 2014, 12:31:45 PMWell.. compared to golf... yeah.   ;)

LOL!   ;D

Quote from: RayferI guess that's why there are now hundreds of channels on tv each catering to a difference audience but still able to make some money.

Exactly!   O0  Unfortunately, it seems that a lot of these TV networks haven't figured this out yet, though.  That is why there are 6 baseball stations, 12 football station, five history stations (all covering WWII, of course), etc.   ;D  I wish some of these networks would branch out into new areas, such as e-sports.
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

RooksBailey

Here we go: ESPN Is going to get involved:

http://www.dailydot.com/esports/the-international-on-espn/


QuoteE-sports have officially gone mainstream. Cable sports giant ESPN will broadcast the entirety of The International, a global championship for the game Dota 2 that boasts a nearly $11 million prize pool, a source close to the negotiations confirmed to the Daily Dot.

I hate DOTA, but I like this news.   :)  No guarantee that ESPN will ever do this again - I remember when ESPN dabbled with Chess coverage once upon a time - but it is a start.  It all depends on the ratings.
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway