Starlight Inception?

Started by Jarhead0331, April 22, 2014, 03:06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Ok. Released on steam. Its a combination 1st/3rd person space combat game with space to planetary transition and 1st person action aboard capital ships.  Sounds too good to be true. Who is going to volunteer to give it a shot and take one for the team? Asking price is $19.99.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/250720/
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Nefaro

This looks very familiar.  Is it a sequel to the previous 3rd-person starship shooter that also had planetary combat?  I recall it being on Gamersgate or something a couple years ago, at the same price.  Pretty sure someone posted here or at WG forums about it.

Jarhead0331

It doesn't look familiar to me...and I've played them all.

It seems to combine certain aspects of the Tomorrow War and Freelancer, among others, but the 1st person thing is really unique.  Again, I have strong doubts about how well its been implemented, but they do get points for trying.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Nefaro

This is the older one it reminded me of:  Salvation: Prophecy.

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-SALVATION/salvation-prophecy

Probably just the same concepts.  The older one looks very indie in comparison.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Nefaro on April 22, 2014, 05:02:03 PM
This is the older one it reminded me of:  Salvation: Prophecy.

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-SALVATION/salvation-prophecy

Probably just the same concepts.  The older one looks very indie in comparison.

very different, but not a half bad game.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

skeptical.platypus

Not sure there is 1st person action on your capital ship. It seems like you can walk around the capital ship, but combat appears to be 3rd person ship to ship dogfighting,  only.
The Law of Unintended Consequences, Seattle Pride Variant: The only city on the planet that can guarantee your purchase of recreational marijuana is from a stoner making $15/hr.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: skeptical.platypus on April 23, 2014, 12:14:36 AM
Not sure there is 1st person action on your capital ship. It seems like you can walk around the capital ship, but combat appears to be 3rd person ship to ship dogfighting,  only.

Right, but space combat also has a cockpit view. It is not just 3rd person.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Nefaro

Is it just a string of pre-fab missions?

skeptical.platypus

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 23, 2014, 05:05:13 AM
Quote from: skeptical.platypus on April 23, 2014, 12:14:36 AM

Right, but space combat also has a cockpit view. It is not just 3rd person.

That was a bad use of terminology on my part. "Cockpit view" to me means graphics overlayed on the screen to simulate a viewing experience as though you are the pilot from a first person perspective. "3rd person" would be external camera views of the ship* or an over the shoulder type view in the cockpit where you see the pilot as well as what the pilot sees.

*The lack of an external camera would be the breaking point for me on X-Rebirth if wasn't so laggy as to imply space is a syrupy substance.
The Law of Unintended Consequences, Seattle Pride Variant: The only city on the planet that can guarantee your purchase of recreational marijuana is from a stoner making $15/hr.